Pacific Madrone

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

ESH

Pacific Madrone

Post by ESH » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:56 pm

Hi there,

I'm a new member based in Oregon with a major passion for trees, and am really enjoying wading through some of these older posts to bring myself up to speed on the community & its explorations. Among my favorite species out here--along with the wonderful conifers, of course, as well as Oregon Ash, Black Cottonwood, Curl-leaf Mountain Mahogany, etc. etc.--is the Pacific Madrone, and I wondered whether anyone here has accounts of particularly impressive specimens in the Beaver State. I know Arno's Northwest Trees lists a champion Madrone in Portland, and I know of a noble & venerable one atop one of the basalt benches over the Willamette River in Oregon City (it seems definitely in its waning years, with a canopy mostly leafless; I want to take some measurements, but I'll have to brave the whipsnake tangles of Poison-oak coiled around the lower trunk). But naturally Southwest Oregon seems to excel in large, old, and otherwise notable Madrones, which are such an important forest tree in the low- to mid-elevations of the Klamaths.

Anyhow, any thoughts? Obviously these trees do not rank highly in the size department compared with the Northwest's true giants, but they're invariably rich in character, and add such exotic flavor to our west-side savannas & woods. Plus, they are apparently relatively long-lived; I certainly like to think my Willamette River tree has stood for several centuries.

Cheers,
Ethan S.

Larry Tucei

Re: Pacific Madrone

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:20 am

Ethan, Welcome to NTS. The Northwest has some of the most spectacular trees in the country. Looking forward to your posts from Oregon. I sure would like to cross a Live Oak with a Redwood. That would be one big tree! Larry

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:07 pm

Ethan,

Welcome to the NTS! We have a number of members in the northwest. I am wondering if you would like to post some Pacific Mandrone photos for the BBS and our monthly magazine? This is just an invitation, and not any type of a requirement. This link goes over the process of adding attachments and photos to a post: http://www.ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f=166&t=34

Ed Frank
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

mdvaden

Post by mdvaden » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:58 am

How long does it take to get to the Madrone near Oregon City?

If I can get free the next few weeks or next month, could bring out the laser to get the height. Unless you have that part dialed-in already.

Sure appreciated the Madrone when we were in southern Oregon. Did not encounter champs so to speak.
M. D. Vaden of Oregon = http://www.mdvaden.com

200 Pages - Coast Redwoods - http://www.mdvaden.com/grove_of_titans.shtml

Portraits & Weddings - http://www.vadenphotography.com

ESH

Post by ESH » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:20 pm

Hi there,

Sorry for my belated replies. Ed, I'd be happy to dig up some Madrone pictures & post them. And mdvaden, the old Madrone near Oregon City is in the Canemah Bluff Natural Area, managed by Metro (just a couple of minutes south of the downtown). I can give you more specific directions if you wish, or take you there myself at some point. I don't think it'd win any awards in the height department; but I may at long last brave the Poison-oak & get a good girth measurement. I know of a more obviously spectacular Madrone (though somehow not as endearing) a little off Highway 30 NW of Portland, in the West Hills above the Columbia, which is certainly among the largest I've seen in NW Oregon.

Cheers,
Ethan

Return to “Oregon”