Gods Valley Spruce

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

RyanLeClair

Gods Valley Spruce

Post by RyanLeClair » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:41 pm

Hey everyone, I just wanted to post this story. It's a favorite of mine, a very haunting tale. Go to the link and then scroll down until you reach the picture of the men in front of the massive, bell-bottomed spruce (the men are holding hands, only a "small" portion of the trunk is shown). Click on the PDF file authored by Brian O'Brian.

http://ascendingthegiants.com/oregon-bi ... -past.html

Larry Tucei

Re: Gods Valley Spruce

Post by Larry Tucei » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:11 pm

Ryan, Some impressive specimens. What a huge Spruce! Glad to see it lived out its natural life. Just imagine before whiteman came to North America almost all of the trees would have been at their maximum size. It would have been fantastic! Forests are now just mere shadows of what was! Larry

RyanLeClair

Post by RyanLeClair » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:05 pm

Larry I do often imagine what the forests looked like when they were under care of the fauna and the Indians. It's sad to think about.
At one point in the PDF story O'Brian is in a clear-cut full of 10"+ sitka spruce stumps. Can you imagine!

That part of Oregon--the Clatsop County area--might have once held some of the world's largest trees. Much of that area is now part of Clatsop National Forest, but it really deserves National Park status. The NF designation doesn't protect the trees from logging. The area has really been butchered.

RyanLeClair

Post by RyanLeClair » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:50 am

Stumps 10 FEET in diameter, I mean. Also I think that Clatsop is actually a State Forest. Oh, well.

If you look at a precipitation map you'll see that some areas in that part of Oregon are getting 150"+ of rain a year. Holy smokes!

cggordon

Post by cggordon » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:22 pm

I had never heard of the Gods Valley Spruce before seeing this topic post. Unfortunately the link to the Ascending the Giants article on the tree no longer works and no amount of google searching seems to bring up any article.

The tree is also mentioned in Bob Van Pelt's "Forest Giants of the Pacific Coast" and he references meeting the author of an article about the tree, perhaps the same article. I can't located that article either. Seems that it was published in some very obscure forestry magazine many, many years ago.

But I was able to go down a google rabbit hole and get a few items regarding the tree. 2 photos which I attach. One I think is what Ascending the Giants uses as their wall-paper on their website. The other I found in the "Forest Wealth of Oregon", a hundred year old book by a Professor Sheldon. He states that the Gods Valley Spruce measured 30 ft 11.5 inches in Diameter at 2 feet off the ground. It measured 20 feet 4.5 inches in Diameter at 6 feet off the ground.

The other item I found is an obituary of sorts for the tree -- a short blurb on page 11 of American Forestry, Vol. 22, January 1916 No.265. I took a pic of the "obit" which I also attach.

Seems that even back in the day, people knew this was quite a tree. The dimensions were Redwood size.
Attachments
Gods Valley Spruce from Forest Wealth of Oregon
Gods Valley Spruce from Forest Wealth of Oregon
Gods Valley Spruce
Gods Valley Spruce
"Obituary" from American Forestry Jan 1916
"Obituary" from American Forestry Jan 1916

Zachary S

Post by Zachary S » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:10 pm

Return to “Oregon”