Very Large Healthy Butternut in Kanata

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

wrecsvp

Very Large Healthy Butternut in Kanata

Post by wrecsvp » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:27 pm

Hi everyone,
I am happy to report this big and healthy-looking Butternut (Juglans cinerea) at Hewitt Park in Kanata, found with fellow tree-hunter Janet Mason on Sunday March 3rd. This tree showed little if any cankering, a full and very widespreading dominant crown in a ~ old mixed Thuja lowland, with a CBH of 107" (34" avg. diameter). It is reasonably tall but what is notable to me is the spread of the crown and the lack of cankering. I fairly often see healthy mature Butternuts, and large/old butternuts, but not often the combination of healthy and old/large like here. I will return to measure crown spread and height probably later in 2019 if I remember, and post a followup
Attachments
IMG_4987.JPG
IMG_4986.JPG
IMG_4985.JPG
IMG_4988.JPG
IMG_4989.JPG
CBH
CBH
IMG_4995.JPG
IMG_4994.JPG

Erik Danielsen

Re: Very Large Healthy Butternut in Kanata

Post by Erik Danielsen » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:09 pm

Beautiful tree, glad to hear it looks healthy. Does Juglans nigra also range up that way or does J. cinerea hang on further north?

wrecsvp

Re: Very Large Healthy Butternut in Kanata

Post by wrecsvp » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:45 pm

Hi Erik,
Black Walnut doesn't quite range this far north naturally, the closest I've seen "natural" growth is along the St. Lawrence River at Prescott Ontario (there is a *huge* Black Walnut in the town) which presumably predates European settlement of this area, link below.
https://goo.gl/maps/w58EPW1qKgt (the tree at the left is a fairly large Bitternut Hickory)

However, Black Walnut has been commonly planted in Ottawa and northward into Quebec for a century or more and it is common to find it naturalized as saplings and early maturity trees.

Butternut ranges pretty far north naturally, well into southern Quebec north of Ottawa.

Return to “Ontario”