Impressively Stout Rock Elm (Ulmus thomasii) at Cavan

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

ElijahW

Re: Impressively Stout Rock Elm (Ulmus thomasii) at Cavan

Post by ElijahW » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:11 pm

Owen,

Thanks. I just signed up for iNaturalist and entered these trees. I know Erik Danielsen has used the website before, as well. I’ll have to explore it a bit more and see how everything works.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

wrecsvp

Post by wrecsvp » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:34 pm

Hi Elijah,

thanks! I verified the observation.

I think you might find iNaturalist a useful site; I definitely do in terms of getting my observations "out there" in a public, searchable database so that populations of trees become known and verifiable. Also reminds me where I've already been tree hunting vs. where I still need to go.

Owen

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:24 pm

I'd second what Owen said about keeping track of where I've been, it's a lot of fun to see the observations all together in the map view and think about where I've been, what I've learned since, and what I need to look for in the future. I've also set up an iNaturalist project called "NTS-Measured Trees" that includes data entry fields for height and girth measurements. Not sure what purpose the project might serve in the long run but if either of you might be interested in contributing, please check it out: https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/nts-measured-trees

I know Josh Harkness has contributed a bit and I've also gotten a guy named Chris in Ohio out working with a Nikon Forestry Pro as well.

wrecsvp

Post by wrecsvp » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:36 pm

Thanks Erik, I joined the NTS project! Will start adding trees gradually.

ryandallas

Post by ryandallas » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:51 pm

Not familiar with this species, but it's cool to see humbler species getting attention!

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:32 am

Erik,

I plan to join the website and contribute.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “Ontario”