Impressively Stout Rock Elm (Ulmus thomasii) at Cavan

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

wrecsvp

Impressively Stout Rock Elm (Ulmus thomasii) at Cavan

Post by wrecsvp » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:28 pm

Thought I'd share this fairly old-looking wide-spreading Rock Elm growing near Cavan ( 44.191289, -78.465091 ). Height measured to 58', CBH to ~108.3". Most impressive to me is the almost oak-like spread of the crown; old specimens of this species can be quite wide-spreading as is well-illustrated by this particular open-grown tree; this is something that the books tend to neglect as usually the species is described to be narrow-cylindrical in habit which indeed is a common growth form in youth to middle-age. This tree was in a zone experiencing extreme drought this summer, but besides perhaps a little edge leaf-scorch the tree looks great (many trees in the area are crispy brown). The autumn colour of this species often starts as is seen in the photos: yellow on the leaf margins while the leaf centres are still green. Rock Elms seem to do better than most of their associates on dry limestone ridges in Ontario, and also appear to be very tolerant of roadside conditions exposed to salt, etc.

Thanks to Justin Peter for pointing out this tree a couple of years ago.
Attachments
IMG_2632_lowres.JPG
IMG_2646_lowres.JPG
IMG_2647_lowres.JPG
IMG_2648_lowres.JPG
IMG_2638_lowres.JPG
IMG_2640_lowres.JPG
IMG_2642_lowres.JPG
IMG_2643_lowres.JPG
IMG_2635_lowres.JPG
IMG_2645_lowres.JPG

Lucas

Re: Impressively Stout Rock Elm (Ulmus thomasii) at Cavan

Post by Lucas » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:42 am

I admire your dedication to rock elm.
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

wrecsvp

Post by wrecsvp » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:00 pm

Thanks Lucas! I find it to be a very charming species which ought to be better known :-)

mdavie

Post by mdavie » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:17 am

Rock elms are great trees, there are lots in middle Tn where I grew up, and I've had one as a bonsai for 25 years now.

wrecsvp

Post by wrecsvp » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:13 pm

Great to hear mdavie! I've always wanted to explore central Tennessee for Ulmus thomasii and the similar-looking Ulmus serotina

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:08 am

Thanks for posting some more cool examples of the Rock Elm. Between where I cross the border at the Thousand Island bridge and the Trenton area, I see lots of the species in scattered spots. Besides northern NY, that stretch of the 401 is the only place I've seen Rock Elm. Someday I'll find a site to check them out better, but I haven't located one yet on accessible public land.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

wrecsvp

Post by wrecsvp » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:28 pm

Hi Elijah,
yeah, the 401 corridor is a relative hotspot.

Two public sites which come to mind are:
Portland Conservation Area in Verona
and
Reveler Conservation Area near Crysler.

The Verona site is good (many Rock Elms in the general area not on public land + the huge 85' tall specimen in Hartington nearby). This lovely specimen is at the edge of an alvar-like meadow, and a number of other specimens are also present
http://www.inaturalist.org/observations/2551792

The Reveler Conservation Area site is very good but maybe a drive for you (Summerstown Forest near Cornwall is also good but a bit further east again).

I'm gradually importing all of my Ulmus thomasii observations as geo-referenced observations here (I have uploaded a little over half of those I've found so far), in case any of the sites are near where you normally travel
http://www.inaturalist.org/observations ... q=thomasii

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:52 pm

Wrecsvp,

Good on you for documenting your elm finds. I'll check them out asap. I'm somewhat familiar with the Cornwall area, though I haven't stopped there in about three years. It's about three hours from home, but I will travel that far regularly to visit cool forests. Do you know if the Lansdowne/Hill Island area has any good public spots for trees? Wellesley Island (US side) is something I need to get to at some point, and I don't have a problem crossing the border as long as the trip isn't too long.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:17 pm

Owen,

I see you’ve kept up with the Rock Elm entries up north. That’s pretty cool to see. I stopped going to Canada for work a couple of years ago, but still plan to visit some of your sites when I have time.

Today I was south of you in St. Lawrence County and finally stopped to get a closer look at two mature Rock Elms I’ve mentioned before. The taller tree, closer to the camera, was 70’ tall plus a couple of inches. Since the trees are on private property and the owners weren’t present, I didn’t get a circumference measurement.
St. Lawrence County Rock Elms
St. Lawrence County Rock Elms
Elijah

wrecsvp

Post by wrecsvp » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:05 pm

That is a fantastic couple of Rock Elms Elijah! I wonder if you would consider entering these into the iNaturalist database, or if you don't have an account would you consider allowing me to enter them on your behalf giving full credit to you? I think it is important to document this species generally. Thanks for posting these trees!!!

Return to “Ontario”