~250 ring count Rock Elm (Ulmus thomasii) near Crysler

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

wrecsvp

~250 ring count Rock Elm (Ulmus thomasii) near Crysler

Post by wrecsvp » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:26 pm

at Reveler Conservation Area near Crysler Ontario.

This tree has approximately 250 growth rings. It was growing on a limestone rocky upland site, and was surrounded by a fairy-ring of root suckers (some of which are also dying). The species is abundant here, with several large and old specimens present and good seedling reproduction occuring after a mast seed crop in 2013. The tree died of Dutch Elm disease this year, and was cut shortly after. Only about 12-15" diameter (didn't have measuring tape), see 2x4s of picnic table for scale. I show three photos of the same tree's X-section; periods of suppression are clearly visible and an check out the old injury completely healed up. The species is evidently quite shade tolerant and when found in eastern Ontario is often in the dense shade of woods in the understory. The heartwood is to me of a beautiful appearance, and true to reputation is extremely hard and tough. Thanks to Ian Reveler for preparing the X-section, and alerting me to the significant age of the tree.

I also show a 4-th photo of a different tree; typical of the old field-grown Ulmus thomasii at the same site, taken about a month ago.

This calcium-rich site contains species I find significant with locally abundant populations, such Rock Elm (Ulmus thomasii), Slippery Elm (Ulmus rubra), Black Maple (Acer nigrum), many Butternut (Julgans cinerea) still appearing healthy, and Canada Plum (Prunus nigra).
Attachments
one of the old field grown Rock Elms at Reveler Conservation Area
one of the old field grown Rock Elms at Reveler Conservation Area
3 of 3, zoomed in shot of the tree's center and early life suppression diary
3 of 3, zoomed in shot of the tree's center and early life suppression diary
2 of 3
2 of 3
Ulmus thomasii with ~250 rings, 1 of 3
Ulmus thomasii with ~250 rings, 1 of 3

Larry Tucei

Re: ~250 ring count Rock Elm (Ulmus thomasii) near Crysler

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:28 pm