Toronto Icestorm Ontario

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

tomhoward

Toronto Icestorm Ontario

Post by tomhoward » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:29 pm

NTS,

I spent Christmas week in Toronto with my brother who lives there. While I was there, Toronto was hit by a disastrous icestorm, possibly the worst winter storm in the city's history. We were in the midst of the worst and longest blackout in Toronto's history. We had no power for 4 and a half days, over 110 hours, and temperature in the house fell below freezing. We had to wear heavy winter coats at Christmas dinner indoors! Power at my brother's house was out from Dec. 22 to Dec. 26. The tree destruction is by far the worst I have ever seen anywhere. About 1.2 inches of ice covered every twig of every tree and shrub, and we watched big limbs falling off the trees. There were trees and wires down in every street; I did not see a single hardwood tree that did not suffer severe damage - it is possible that Toronto has lost over 20% of its trees. The conifers, except some White Pines with big limbs, did better.At the height of the storm over 300,000 customers (about 1 million people) had no power, and many people suffered from hypothermia; at least 3 (possibly more) people died from carbon monoxide from improperly vented generators. We had a poorly designed fireplace that provided more feeble smoky, sooty light than heat. Every park, every street in the whole big city and surrounding area, had huge tree limbs down.

Tom Howard

dbhguru

Re: Toronto Icestorm Ontario

Post by dbhguru » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:14 am

Tom,

Sorry to hear about the ordeal with the ice storm. One impact of climate change (as predicted) seems to be more and severer ice storms in locations that have traditionally gotten mostly snow. We're due freezing rain here in western Mass today. Not looking forward to it.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

wrecsvp

Post by wrecsvp » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:19 am

A major ice storm is an eerie experience to go through (was in Ottawa for the 1998 one). Luckily, the recovery for otherwise healthy trees can be remarkable as well; the vast majority of the trees in my area survived just fine and within less than a decade had re-established normal-looking crowns. Now, the only noticeable effect in some trees is a subtle "breakage line" ~ 3/4 of the way up the tree which can be seen in winter.

Rand

Post by Rand » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:57 am

wrecsvp wrote:A major ice storm is an eerie experience to go through (was in Ottawa for the 1998 one). Luckily, the recovery for otherwise healthy trees can be remarkable as well; the vast majority of the trees in my area survived just fine and within less than a decade had re-established normal-looking crowns. Now, the only noticeable effect in some trees is a subtle "breakage line" ~ 3/4 of the way up the tree which can be seen in winter.
We had an ice storm like this in NW ~2005. It broke every branch off the north side of one of my parent's elm trees under 1 1/2" in diameter. When it grew back, what was startling was how quickly the tree regrew the north side so that it is now symmetrical with the unbroken south side.

Return to “Ontario”