Blue Church, Prescott, On Sept. 19, 2013

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

tomhoward

Blue Church, Prescott, On Sept. 19, 2013

Post by tomhoward » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:57 pm

NTS:

On this warm sunny day Jack Howard and I visited this beautiful site near the St. Lawrence River just west of Prescott, Ontario on our way back to North Syracuse for our trip to Quebec. This site is an open collection of large White Pines (in an area that does not have many White Pines) in a 200-year-old cemetery surrounding the small Blue Church, which was built about 1845. It is comparable to a similar (but denser) collection of big rather old White Pines in Greenwood Cemetery in Morristown, NY, which is just across the St. Lawrence River. The White Pines near the Blue Church seem to be about 150-200 years old. I measured the largest trees with the NTS method, using laser rangefinder, clinometer, scientific calculator (sine method – multiplying distance by sine of angle – heights are in feet. I got heights on the following trees:

One of 2 White Pines west of Blue Church, with old, platy bark, 49” dbh:
Height 103.71

White Pine just to north of above tree, 37” dbh:
Height 104 tallest tree I have measured in Ontario (there are many taller ones, but this is the tallest I have measured)

These White Pines are quite picturesque, and one of the most picturesque is a battered White Pine 48.6” dbh that used to have 2 trunks, with one trunk broken. I counted 115 rings on a 5” radius cross-section of a broken branch from that trunk. The following is the height of the surviving part of this White Pine:
Height 88.5
Blue Church and tallest White Pines
Blue Church and tallest White Pines
Tallest White Pines
Tallest White Pines
Tom Howard

Return to “Ontario”