evidence of very large Eastern White Cedars

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

ronbertbean

evidence of very large Eastern White Cedars

Post by ronbertbean » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:20 pm

I'm new to this website and this is my first post. While tracing a stream in the extreme south of Norfolk County, Ontario we came across an area with numerous nurse stumps of eastern white cedar that were in excess of 3 feet in diameter. The trees growing over the stumps looked to be at least 20 years old if not much more. We came across 2 trees that clearly had not been logged - one had uprooted, obviously long ago and was probably 3.5' at the base - another had died more recently and was broken off at about 20' up. So these two trees lead me to speculate on whether the large stumps had been logged or had died of natural causes. I found this NTS site looking while looking for information. I would estimate we saw in excess of 20 stumps of eastern white cedar >3' in diameter in an area of a few acres. I am hesitant to specify the exact location both because I'm not sure of the protocol on this site and because I am not 100% clear on the land ownership (my best guess is Long Point Conservation Authority). I am posting because I was thrilled to find this area and to see evidence of cedars much bigger than I have ever seen in this area and am wondering if anyone would care to comment.

Ron

bbeduhn

Re: evidence of very large Eastern White Cedars

Post by bbeduhn » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:15 pm

Ron,
Do you have any photos of these stumps that you can share? Are these nurse stumps perhaps another species with white cedars growing from them or sre they definitely white cedars? Check out the massive report on old growth in the Niagara Region. White cedars grow to an incredible age there.

If a site is on private land, you are right to divulge only a general location unless you have permission to give more info. We usually confine exact locations to private messages. On off trail public sites, exact locations are kept out of public records. General locations work well enough for the message board.
Welcome to the site.
Brian

DougBidlack

Post by DougBidlack » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:53 pm

Ron,

those are certainly very nice cedars. NTS have measured this species to 186" in girth at 4.5' on South Manitou Island in Lake Michigan...so that's 4.9' in diameter. I recently found a record of 220" in girth (5.8' in diameter) for Ontario on the internet and I believe this was probably measured at 1.5m. I'm sorry I don't recall the internet site or actual location within Ontario at the moment but I'm sure it would be relatively easy to find.

Is there any chance you might be able to find some live trees of this size or did you explore the entire area?

Doug

ronbertbean

Post by ronbertbean » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:05 pm

Hi,

I did not explore the whole area but did not observe any live white cedars greater than 1 ft in diameter. There were a few significant live white pines at least 100 years old and 2 ft in diameter. Here is the dead cedar that was uprooted. I will return and get more photos if I can get there before the frost leaves the ground otherwise it may have to wait until summer as it looks like a very swampy location. I'll take a tape measure with me as well.

Ron
Attachments
SHcedar stump.jpg

csadsamsrep

Post by csadsamsrep » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:14 pm

That is a large cedar for sure. There is an old one called the fallen giant in the Upper Peninsula, near Copper Harbor that is dead now, but measures in the range of 5 feet in diameter or so...not at breast height, but at its girdle, just above the estimate of the former soil line. It was not a real tall tree, but very thick, and was next to a small river. We have several white eastern cedar on our farm next to a large river in the 3 foot diameter range, but not at breast height. They are large like this closer to the ground, and some of them split into two sections, and are very irregular or gnarly. I will post some photos soon, so be on the lookout for these live ones.

Return to “Ontario”