Autumn colors at Dawes Arboretum

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Rand

Autumn colors at Dawes Arboretum

Post by Rand » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:53 am

Dawes Arboretum is located ~ 5.5 miles south of Newark, Ohio. Oct 29 was warm and breezy, with scattered clouds and an ideal day for pictures:
Sugar Maple
Sugar Maple
_MG_9217.jpg
All the ash trees in the woods are dead, but a few open grown trees remain. The one person I asked did not know if they had been treated or not.
White Ash
White Ash
Old Red Maple
Old Red Maple
Regal Beech
Regal Beech
Looking up the oak alley in the SE corner of the Arboretum. It consists of mainly swamp white, and overcup oaks, with a handful of swamp chestnut oaks (Mislabeled as Q. Montana) and red oaks. One swamp white had died, and I ring counted it to the early 1940's.
Oak Alley
Oak Alley
Looking up at the largest swamp chestnut oak on the property. It was noticeably larger than the other growing in the alley, presumably because its position at the base of the hill made for better growing conditions (the embankment visible on the right hand side of the picture holds back a small lake).
Swamp Chestnut Oak
Swamp Chestnut Oak
Young and beautiful White Oak
Young and beautiful White Oak
Old White Oak
Old White Oak
_MG_9230.jpg

Joe

Re: Autumn colors at Dawes Arboretum

Post by Joe » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:20 am

Nothing like a walk in a nice forest on a nice day when the foliage is colorful. I appreciate your photos on a typical late December, dark and cold early morning in New England.
Joe

Return to “Ohio”