My old Ohio Home, Ada, Ohio

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Rand

My old Ohio Home, Ada, Ohio

Post by Rand » Thu May 20, 2010 9:17 pm

I grew up outside the small two of Ada Ohio, in the flat swampy till planes of Northwestern Ohio. When I was roughly sophomore year in high school my dad I planted a small 1 acre planting of various hardwoods (Green ash, walnut, sweetgum, hybrid poplars and austrees, bur oak, white oak, & beech). Five of these were pure American Chestnuts receive from the now defunct American Chestnut Council up in Michigan. This was a crap shoot because the soil is alkaline swampy clay, and chestnuts like acid well drained, sandy soil. Er right...2 of them died within a few years. Two of them entered a kind of deer induced stasis (chicken fences nonwithstanding), but against the odds one managed to grow properly. It was doing fine until 4 years ago when NW Ohio had severe summer drought where it hardly rained at all during the summer months. This killed off one of the stragglers that was most exposed to the southwest wind. The big tree seemed unaffected, except that the top 2 feet of the tree died off during the winter. This stress apparently set off the tree's coppicing response and a sprout came off the root collar , and grew into the gap left by the dead leader and side limbs. Meanwhile the main stem has recovered, so now it's a two way race for the terminal leader. Also 2 years ago this tree bore nuts for the first time (pollinated from some nearby chinese chestnuts)

Click on image to see its original size

This little patch is on the downwind side of a larger woodlot and the native Black Walnuts are invading quite heavily in places. These volunteers are a favorite target of rutting deer, but they persistently sprout back each year. You can see where the root systems keep growing and killing out an abrupt halo in the ubiquitous goldrod.

Finally the downtown area is home to a rather large sycamore. According to written records this tree was planted in the 1880's and has grown to 16' 3" cbh x 107.7' tall since then:

And lastly a picture of sad neglect. This swamp white oak grew up in the front yard of a streeside home. ~1990 the house was torn down and a Hardee's fast food join constructed around it. Somehow it survive in the little island of landscaping they left around it. However, the hardees passed on and a Rite Aid went in. They sorta left some space for the root system, but apparently this last assault was too much for it:

Bunch of idiots...

James Parton

Re: My old Ohio Home

Post by James Parton » Thu May 20, 2010 11:32 pm

Rand,

It is always nice to hear of some surviving American Chestnuts. How did the nuts taste? Did you try them?

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri May 21, 2010 8:08 am

Randy,

Good to hear from you. Good info on the sycamore. It documents what the species can do in Ohio in just 130 years.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Rand

Post by Rand » Sat May 22, 2010 7:29 pm

James,

I didn't actually taste them. I tried to toast a few years ago in toaster and they turned into rocks (oops). Only got 3-4 anyway.

Unlike most trees in town the tree is well cared for. They had a fund raiser to bring in a professionally arborist to thin the crown in the mid 90's to lessen the wind exposure. It's by far the tallest tree in town. You can see it sticking up a mile away.

Return to “Ohio”