Darby and Sandusky Plains Bur Oak Project

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Matt Markworth

Re: Darby and Sandusky Plains Bur Oak Project

Post by Matt Markworth » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:42 pm

All,

The search for bur oaks in the Darby Plains continues. I stumbled on this grove of venerable trees in Fayette County yesterday.

Bur Oak
14.5' x 70'
13.8' x 75.5'
13.05' x 87.5'
11.69' x 81'
10.88' x 57' - top out
10.28' x 82'
9.12' x 54' - dead, top out
bur 4-28 a.jpg
bur 4-28 b.jpg
bur 4-28 c.jpg
Matt

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Sun May 01, 2016 8:32 am

All,

The mighty bur oaks of the Darby Plains continue to reveal themselves. With great age and size, bur oak seems to be the species that dominates the landscape and yesterday's finds extended the limits of girth and height that I've measured so far in the plains.

The 20 footer has an interesting form, which may have been caused by regrowth after severe damage to the trunk many years ago. In addition to these scattered trees, I also saw two groves of bur oaks in Fayette County (maybe a dozen trees each) that would need permission to measure.

Bur oak measurements from yesterday:

Fayette County
20.15' x 63.8'
18.1' x 65.5' - lost original top
15.34' x 70.5'
15.3' x 70.5' x 90.5'
14.51' x 76.5'
13.15' x 87.5'
12.7' x 67'

Northern Clinton County
15.6' x 93.5' - dead top
14.63 x 80.5'
14.14' x 78'
20.15' x 63.8'
20.15' x 63.8'
20.15' x 63.8'
20.15' x 63.8'
Base of 18.1' x 65.5' tree
Base of 18.1' x 65.5' tree
Matt

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Sun May 01, 2016 9:59 am

Matt,

Which was the better find, the big oak or the Dauby Dog?

This is a cool project; I'm glad you're doing it. I've wondered for a while just how big those Ohio Bur oaks could get. In NY, we have some similar areas of remnant Bur oak savannah starting around south of Rochester, though on a much, much smaller scale. Naturally occurring Bur oak is rare around Syracuse, but we do have some. Excellent work, Mark.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Don

Post by Don » Sun May 01, 2016 12:59 pm

Tree hunting can build up quite an appetite!
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Sun May 01, 2016 2:34 pm

Elijah, Don,

Indeed, the Dauby Dogs were tempting!

I talked to the vendor on the opposite side of the tree and she said people had been remarking on it's size all day. I noticed the tree while I was driving by and drove right up to it as the vendors were breaking down their stuff. It definitely felt like a slice of Americana - I haven't been to a fair in years.

Matt

Don

Post by Don » Sun May 01, 2016 2:38 pm

Matt-
I just have returned recently from a dozen Spring Training Games in Phoenix area...could not have done it without heavily amended footlong Chicago dogs and craft beers!
Science Center

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Wed May 04, 2016 7:03 pm

Don,

I bet Phoenix in April is great! We've had a few good days here in the Midwest, with a lot of the expected cloud cover and rain.

All,

This project has also allowed me to work on map-making skills and here's a map showing the location of the bur oaks I've measured in the Darby Plains so far.

I made the map in CartoDB using a satellite image from Mapbox and a county map file found on a random website. The data points are plotted and grouped based on GPS coordinates within my dataset. The size of the point indicates the number of trees measured there. The size of the point could also be based on girth or other variables. I'll continue to experiment as I keep finding bur oaks.

For perspective of where these counties are in Ohio, the developed area showing on the satellite image on the right is Columbus. The Sandusky Plains are farther north and those counties are not shown on this particular map.

It should also be noted that these measured trees represent a small sample of all the bur oaks that were seen in yards, farm fields, etc. This area has an abundance of magnificent bur oaks and it will be interesting to see just how extensive they are.

Darby Plains bur oaks 2.jpg
Matt

Don

Post by Don » Wed May 04, 2016 10:27 pm

How are you liking Carto DB? I've been looking for a good easy but accomplished GIS software...miss the ArcView I used to work with...can't afford it or its equivalent now that I'm retired!
Science Center

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Thu May 05, 2016 5:48 pm

Don,

I like it a lot so far. It's probably more basic than what you're used to with ArcGIS, but it has a lot of capabilities. Four layers are permitted for an unlimited number of maps/datasets, along with a data allowance of 250MB.

Lots of exciting possibilities - it would be super easy to create a color-coded tree height range map across the range of a species. All that would be needed is a spreadsheet with location and height data.

Matt

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Sat May 07, 2016 10:32 pm

All,

Here are three bur oaks, which represent new counties in my search for bur oaks in the Darby Plains. They are shown on this map in Southeastern Clark County, Southeastern Greene County, and in Franklin County just beyond the eastern border of Madison County.
Darby Plains 5-7-16.png
Darby Plains 5-7-16.png (422.61 KiB) Viewed 1014 times
Here's the info window from my map for each of the three trees along with a photo. My methodology for the Tree ID is the first three letters of the county with a number indicating the number of bur oaks measured in that county.

There's just something about seeing these trees in the wide open plains with nothing but sky behind them!
CLA1 hover.png
CLA1 hover.png (226.14 KiB) Viewed 1014 times
CLA1.jpg
FRA1 hover.png
FRA1 hover.png (299.18 KiB) Viewed 1014 times
FRA1a.jpg
GRE1 hover.png
GRE1 hover.png (294.72 KiB) Viewed 1014 times
GRE1.jpg
Matt

Return to “Ohio”