A few images from Tar Hollow State Forest, OH

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Rand

A few images from Tar Hollow State Forest, OH

Post by Rand » Thu May 13, 2010 9:17 pm

Tar Hollow State is a fairly heavily logged State forest in the South Central part of the state. Lots of selective cutting and a smattering of clear cuts. They seem to have an allergy to letting trees get over ~2' dbh. However, there is one tuliptree that was left either by virtual of being right beside the hiking trail or close to a stream. I measured it to be 10'7" x 135'. The height was a quick and dirty measurement after leafout, and it has a broad crown, so it's probably closer to 140':

Click on image to see its original size

A number of southwestern facing slopes tend to have an abundance of chestnut sprouts lurking in the understory. A few clearcuts have released them and I took it upon myself to husband them along by cutting the competing trees away from them. I was hoping they'd survive long enough to produce nuts (there are 4-5 inside of an acre). However, after ~5 years the inevitable has occurred:

The blight has in infected this tree for at least two growing seasons, and perhaps 3. The sprout on the left is already dead. It only took one year for the blight to kill it. The one on the right is leafing out, but as you can see it probably won't be far behind. The 4 other nearby saplings in this clearcut are still blight free, but I imagine it's only a matter of time.
Last edited by Rand on Fri May 14, 2010 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James Parton

Re: A few images from Tar Hollow

Post by James Parton » Thu May 13, 2010 11:12 pm

Rand,

Sadly, that is what happens to American Chestnuts. Some get lucky enough to make it for long enough to get some size to em' but eventually the blight gets em'. Hopefully TACF's research will soon change that.

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri May 14, 2010 7:50 am

James,

Letting trees get to large sizes seems to be a problem for lots of resource managers. I've heard a number of standard explanations over the years for keeping trees short, but recently heard a new one that blew my mind. This is no joke. One of the foresters working for the Westfield town watershed told an audience (with a straight face) that they didn't like to let trees get too tall because it meant that raindrops would have a longer distance to fall from the upper canopy and would hit the ground with more force, causing soil compaction. I'm serious. That was said - and apparently meant. You can image what our friend Joe Zorzin said about the individual in a private communication.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Fri May 14, 2010 9:37 am

Bob,

The world is full of, well, uhhh, dumbasses!!

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Sandy Pappas

Post by Sandy Pappas » Fri May 14, 2010 2:15 pm

thanks for the info on chestnuts, my brother lived on scientists cliffs and aroused my attention about the blight. from

Alexandra Pappas

Rand

Post by Rand » Fri May 14, 2010 9:32 pm

Here's what they look like after ~3 growing seasons.

Bob,

I always wondered why they cut down the redwood forests...erosion control apparently...

Beth

Post by Beth » Sat May 15, 2010 9:31 am

Bob,

I'm to dumbfounded to speak. Maybe we need to stop the rain at a lower height so it doesn't compact the soil too. I can see it now..."We interupt this broadcast to bring you breaking news. The last piece of the Soil Anti-Compaction Roof (SACR) is being put in place. With this piece of SACR being lowered we will have built a roof over the entire world." Ok so I can speak. LOL

Beth
Trees are the Answer

RyanLeClair

Re: A few images from Tar Hollow State Forest, OH

Post by RyanLeClair » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:45 pm

Bob,

Isn't it funny when people think they know better than nature?

edfrank

Re: A few images from Tar Hollow State Forest, OH

Post by edfrank » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:17 pm

rddl1990 wrote:Bob,

Isn't it funny when people think they know better than nature?
Nature is mindless chance. Everything is tried and some things work. Most are failures.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “Ohio”