Fleckenstein Park, OH

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Matt Markworth

Fleckenstein Park, OH

Post by Matt Markworth » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:22 pm

NTS:

Located in the flat to gently rolling landscape of Warren County, OH, this park and adjacent neighborhood remind me very strongly of the woodland pastures down in the Inner Bluegrass of Kentucky. Old, open-grown bur oaks and chinkapin oaks are key species in the Bluegrass and are present at this location, which is just one county away from the edge of the Outer Bluegrass. Another key species in woodland pastures of the Bluegrass is kingnut (shellbark hickory), and looking across a fence line onto private property I spotted what is either a kingnut or a shagbark hickory. The white fences, old barn, and horse-related park signage lend yet another familiar element of the Bluegrass. I'll have to do some research to see if this property may have been used for grazing in the past. Driving through the surrounding neighborhoods, old bur oaks/chinkapin oaks/hickories can be seen in backyards and across fence lines.

I measured 3 bur oaks, 2 chinkapin oaks, and 1 white oak. The park had another white oak that died and was removed a couple years ago. It also had very thick limbs and was an old tree.

Here are the measurements and photos:

Bur Oak
14'4" x 74.6' x 71.5'
- Original top is out
14'4" CBH bur oak
14'4" CBH bur oak
The same tree in summer:
14'4" CBH bur oak
14'4" CBH bur oak
Bur Oak
12'9" x 72.3' x 67'
- Original top is out
12'9" CBH bur oak
12'9" CBH bur oak
Bur Oak
14'5" x 68.8'
- The spread in one direction is 79' (couldn't get average spread because the crown extends over private property)

The hickory I mentioned can be seen on the left:
14'5" CBH bur oak
14'5" CBH bur oak
Chinkapin Oak
14'2.5" x 65.8' x 83'
- Some crown loss at top
14'2.5" CBH chinkapin oak
Looking into the crown of the same tree:
Chinkapin Oak
7'9.5" x 52.6' x 39'
- Original top is out
7'9.5" CBH chinkapin oak
7'9.5" CBH chinkapin oak
White Oak
11'6" x 68.2' x 58'
11'6" CBH white oak
11'6" CBH white oak
The same tree in summer:
11'6" CBH white oak
11'6" CBH white oak
I'll enter these trees into the Bur Oak Database and Chinkapin Oak Database and measure some more oaks that I know of around town.

Matt

George Fieo

Re: Fleckenstein Park, OH

Post by George Fieo » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:32 pm

Matt,

Very impressive oaks, you have my attention. Do with it what you may. I love the summer/winter photos!!! You have captured the maturity/essence of these oaks with your photos. Especially love the branch stucture of the 14'2.5" chinkapin.

George

Matt Markworth

Re: Fleckenstein Park, OH

Post by Matt Markworth » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:45 pm

Thanks George! I dug up a couple summertime photos of the chinkapin oak and stopped by the tree again for matching photos. Great tree.
chinkapin 2 bare.JPG
chinkapin 2 leaves.jpg
chinkapin bare.JPG
chinkapin leaves.jpg
Hopefully the oaks at this park have a lot of years in front of them. I think they'd be good candidates for lightning protection. I also wonder if the park's apparent focus on maintaining a lush lawn/fertilization could hurt the trees long term. Mower damage doesn't seem like an issue at least, like I commonly see with park trees.

Matt

Return to “Ohio”