Hocking Hills Region

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Matt Markworth

Re: Hocking Hills Region

Post by Matt Markworth » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:07 pm

Sradivoy,

I agree. Whenever possible, I think it's more meaningful to compare Rucker Indexes for sites that are relatively close in size. I'm not too concerned if a Rucker crosses political boundaries, but comparing the wide-ranging Hocking Hills Region to the ~50 acre super site within California Woods isn't nearly as meaningful as comparing it to a site with comparable acreage.

Matt

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:13 am

Just wanted to point out that the 155' hemlock is not only the state record but it has also surpassed the 154' sycamore as the third tallest species in the state. It's also knocking on the door of the champion 156' white pine for number two.

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:40 pm

Hocking hills is the only region in Ohio that has four species above 150'. The "big four" include the two hardwoods, tuliptrees and sycamores. and the two softwoods, white pines and hemlocks. Here are some elegant tulips that I scoped out early one morning. They were in the low 150' range. Young tulips are quite pretty indeed.
Attachments
DSCN3021.JPG
DSCN3027.JPG
DSCN3034.JPG
Last edited by sradivoy on Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:42 pm

Stefan, Matt, Rand,

My next Ohio trip is definitely going to include a stopover at Hocking Hill. The numbers coming out if there continue to impress, if not amaze me.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:09 am

I visited Rose Hollow during my recent foray to the region and was very impressed with the grove. I wish I had studied your post more carefully prior to visiting because I think I skipped over that leaning 152.5 hemlock without measuring it. I did notice it and thought about measuring it but didn't for some reason - much to my chagrin. I did however measure your 155.4' hemlock (I got a single upslope shot of 157' from my vantage point) in addition to an adjacent 153' hemlock directly behind it and downstream from the tree thinking at the time that it was your 152.5 tree. Not to be outdone, there's a lovely 134' hemlock perched next to the side of a cliff that I thought was the most beautiful specimen in the grove.
Attachments
134' hemlock
134' hemlock

Return to “Ohio”