The Galehouse Tuliptree

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Matt Markworth

The Galehouse Tuliptree

Post by Matt Markworth » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:14 pm

NTS,

Sheltered in a valley within Hocking Hills State Park stands a 9'11" x 170' Tuliptree. I'm calling it The Galehouse Tuliptree because I wouldn't be finding these tall trees without Steve's original LiDAR instructions and for his overall hospitality when I visited NE Ohio.....and my hope that this will get him down to Southern Ohio again:)

A 163' Tuliptree stands close by and a 143.5' sycamore is fairly close as well. I haven't done very much measuring in Hocking Hills, but the 170' tuliptree, the 146' northern red oak, the 143.5' sycamore, along with the trees that Rand has measured will make a very nice start to a Rucker 10 for the collection of sites in the Hocking Hills region.

This photo is taken from the top of a cliff with the camera at 109 vertical ft above the base of the tree.
The Galehouse Tuliptree
The Galehouse Tuliptree
Here's a video that shows the 170 footer at the 35 second mark through the 54 second mark. The video also includes some scenes from the Hocking Hills State Forest rock climbing area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bsx_0nUiXw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bsx_0nUiXw
Tall American sycamore
Tall American sycamore
Matt

Steve Galehouse

Re: The Galehouse Tuliptree

Post by Steve Galehouse » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:41 pm

Matt-

Thanks for the tree!!! Maybe this Fall you could introduce me to my namesake!

I's been quite a while since I've been in the Hocking Hills area, and would love to return. Great finds.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:37 pm

Matt,

Congratulations! The Galehouse Tulip becomes the second 170-footer in Ohio, and the number of 160s steadily grows. If the conventional big tree hunters in Ohio catch fire and begin hunting superlative specimens meeting other than total big tree points, the Buckeye State could become a leader in the eastern tree competitions.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Rand

Post by Rand » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:23 pm

That looks like a young vigorously growing tree that is going to get a lot taller in the coming decades

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:54 pm

Rand wrote:That looks like a young vigorously growing tree that is going to get a lot taller in the coming decades
NTS, Rand-

Unlike myself, I've shrunk by 4'' in the past two or three decades. Oh, well.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

Rand

Post by Rand » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:03 am

Steve,

So you're saying that those funny little plastic 'Mr. potato head' faces you can assemble on trees are sorta lying huh?

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:11 pm

Rand,

I'm just hoping to morph into a bur oak when I'm about 90 or so...

ent.jpg
Matt

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:12 pm

Matt Markworth wrote:NTS,

Sheltered in a valley within Hocking Hills State Park stands a 9'11" x 170' Tuliptree. I'm calling it The Galehouse Tuliptree because I wouldn't be finding these tall trees without Steve's original LiDAR instructions and for his overall hospitality when I visited NE Ohio.....and my hope that this will get him down to Southern Ohio again:)

Matt
The epitome of a great tree measurer is not so much the discovery of individual trees, but rather the discovery of special locations that wouldn't be known or appreciated by others if it wasn't for them. Not many tree measures can make this claim. Sand Run will forever be closely associated with Steve Galehouse. The same can be said about California Woods and its inseparable association with Matt Markworth. What a fitting and lasting tribute from one great tree measurer to another. Many thanks to you both!

Stefan R.

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:18 pm

I had the privilege to visit the Galehouse Tree recently and measured it from two different vantage points at 167' and 172' for an average height of 169.5' which is very close to the official height. Personally I think its closer to 172 because I had a much better view of the top from a high location with a shallow angle to the top rather than the steep angle I had initially from near its base. The tree seems to be growing vigorously and may very well be the tallest in the state already.

Return to “Ohio”