Kendrick Woods, SNP (OH)

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

DwainSchroeder

Re: Kendrick Woods, SNP (OH)

Post by DwainSchroeder » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:51 pm

Rand,

Reference: Two large bald cypress trees in Columbus Grove

I roughly measured the larger of the two trees about five years ago, but I don't remember the numbers. Shortly after, I read in the local paper that someone from Grove had determined the tree was the largest bald cypress in Ohio, and they had sent in a nomination to the ODNR big tree program office. However, from what I last saw on the ODNR site, the bald cypress at the cemetery in Cincinnati is still listed as the Ohio champion, so either the nomination paperwork fell through the cracks or the numbers for the Columbus Grove tree didn't add up. I've thought about checking out the situation for myself but I've never gotten around to it.

I collected some seeds from these trees in the mid-80's and had good luck germinating them, thanks to some advice from Earl Lockwood. Earl ran the Lost Creek Nursery in Lima and he had an amazing knowledge of trees, and a wonderful desire to share it. The seeds are collected after they fall from the trees in late November, and then immediately sowed and kept wet all winter. I planted several of those cypress seedlings in a low area behind my house and they are now over 40" CBH and probably about 40' tall.

I've always wondered who planted those two trees, and how it came about. There is a story that the two trees may have been some sort of "markers" for the underground railroad. I don't know where this story came from and it seems a stretch. The trees would have to be quite old to have been around in the pre-1860s ??. Stories have a way of getting embellished over the years so maybe the trees had some significance, but in some other way.

Dwain

Rand

Post by Rand » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:05 am

DwainSchroeder wrote:Rand,

Reference: Two large bald cypress trees in Columbus Grove

I roughly measured the larger of the two trees about five years ago, but I don't remember the numbers. Shortly after, I read in the local paper that someone from Grove had determined the tree was the largest bald cypress in Ohio, and they had sent in a nomination to the ODNR big tree program office. However, from what I last saw on the ODNR site, the bald cypress at the cemetery in Cincinnati is still listed as the Ohio champion, so either the nomination paperwork fell through the cracks or the numbers for the Columbus Grove tree didn't add up. I've thought about checking out the situation for myself but I've never gotten around to it.
I dunno, the Spring Grove Champion would be a tough act to follow:
cbh (in), height, spread
cbh (in), height, spread
http://forestry.ohiodnr.gov/championtrees

The biggest might be close to 17' cbh, but I doubt it's over 60' high. Might make a decent field trip for Mark to verify the height of the spring grove tree.
I collected some seeds from these trees in the mid-80's and had good luck germinating them, thanks to some advice from Earl Lockwood. Earl ran the Lost Creek Nursery in Lima and he had an amazing knowledge of trees, and a wonderful desire to share it. The seeds are collected after they fall from the trees in late November, and then immediately sowed and kept wet all winter. I planted several of those cypress seedlings in a low area behind my house and they are now over 40" CBH and probably about 40' tall.
Not too shabby. They getting any knees yet?
I've always wondered who planted those two trees, and how it came about. There is a story that the two trees may have been some sort of "markers" for the underground railroad. I don't know where this story came from and it seems a stretch. The trees would have to be quite old to have been around in the pre-1860s ??. Stories have a way of getting embellished over the years so maybe the trees had some significance, but in some other way.

Dwain
I remember the first time I saw those trees going to a football game in high school. I about fell out of my seat, and I too wondered how they got there. I don't know enough about cypress growth rates to call bull on the story (the trees are certainly big enough, but would they actually be bigger at that age?), but I wouldn't be surprised if they were younger either. Kind of a pity the big ice storm 7? years ago kinda tore them up.

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:10 pm

Might make a decent field trip for Mark to verify the height of the spring grove tree.
Rand,

Here's my measurement of the Ohio Champion at Spring Grove:

Ohio Champion Baldcypress
CBH: 212" Ht: 101.7' Average Spread: 68'
- The Ohio Big Trees list shows the same CBH, although shows a height of 113' and an average spread of 61'.
http://www.ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 34&p=25028

Matt

Rand

Post by Rand » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:45 am

Thanks, mark. I was too lazy to go digging for your post.

DwainSchroeder

Post by DwainSchroeder » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:38 pm

Reference: Large bald cypress trees in Columbus Grove:

I took a very quick and rough measurement on the east tree tonight and came up with a 206" circumference. It's a nasty night. There is a lot of snow on the ground and it was about 10 degrees F, but I just wanted to do a sanity check to see if the tree was really in a state champion realm. With all the snow my guess at 4' above grade may have been a little high and the circumference may be bigger. I'll wait for the snow to melt and then use some accurate surveying techniques to get a good measurement. For the height, I hate to even guess but I do think its taller than 60'. With the other tree growing only about 20' away they should be competing for the upper hand. I don't have an electronic distance device, but I do have some surveying skills and I think I could get within five feet or so of actual. The crown spread likewise would need to be accurately measured, and I'll try to do that when the conditions are better.

These two trees and the trees I grew from the seed really don't have the knees that some others bald cypresses have, although the trunks on these trees have some mild flutes. It's been speculated that the knees are means for swamp trees to take in oxygen, but I've read that some cypress trees that are growing up in dry land, as these are, will sometimes develop knees.

Dwain

Return to “Ohio”