Tall Southern Ohio Tuliptree

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

sradivoy

Re: Tall Southern Ohio Tuliptree

Post by sradivoy » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:02 pm

I spooked a Blue Racer once up on a cliff in the same area with a similar view. Very fast snake. It mover like liquid. It etched a permanent mark in my memory. It is a magical place indeed. The most beautiful area in Ohio IMO. It combines great geology with botany. In the spring the place comes to life with innumerable waterfalls that dry up later in the year. There are so many nooks and crannies to explore there.

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:13 pm

Rand wrote:
Matt Markworth wrote:Bob,

Thanks, Ohio continues to impress me as well, both with trees and scenery. When I recently walked around the rim trail of the gorge at Conkle's Hollow (a nature preserve nestled within Hocking Hills State Forest), I was briefly reminded of the canyons in Colorado and I was especially pleased that such a place exists so close to home. I measured the vertical distance from the creek to the top of the sheer cliff of the gorge as 185'.

Matt
It's kinda neat to walk along the rim there, look down on the sea of young tuliptrees growing in the bottom of Conkles hollow and imagine that they just might get that high at some point.
Like the champion tulip from Kentucky for example. Those closed in cliffs are perfect wind breakers for tall trees to flourish.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:43 pm

Matt

That photo with the mist is extraordinary. It looks primeval. Ohio has so much more to offer than most if us could have ever imagined.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:58 pm

Matt Markworth wrote:
Residing within Hocking Hills State Forest, this 9'3" x 165.5' tuliptree becomes what I think is the tallest known tree in the southern half of Ohio.
Well, that didn't last long. I'll start a new post for the tree that can now make that claim.

Matt

Return to “Ohio”