Go buckeyes!

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

sradivoy

Go buckeyes!

Post by sradivoy » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:57 am

Now if we can only find a national champion tree for the occasion. The quest for the "holy grail" begins. How realistic is that?

Rand

Re: Go buckeyes!

Post by Rand » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:21 pm

Failing that, we could probably pass off a yellow buckeye in pinch. I hear it worked for Kentucky for a few years...

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:32 pm

That's one poisonous tree!

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:41 pm

National champs! Way to go Buckeyes.

Rand

Post by Rand » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:34 pm

sradivoy wrote:National champs! Way to go Buckeyes.
Woot!

DwainSchroeder

Post by DwainSchroeder » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:44 pm

I graduated form Ohio State in 1976 in engineering, but I spent a lot of time at the College of Natural Resources - School of Forestry because that was another one of my interests. The campus had a lot of neat and unusual trees. There were two monster sycamore trees located in an area called the small oval. The trees grew in a large natural swale which provided the moisture that sycamores thrive on. I believe one or both of the trees were plastered with concrete in a few spots to help stop rot that was attacking the trunks. I wonder if the trees are still there.

Well Ohio was the champion on the football field, but I believe that Oregon likely has bigger champion trees. I've never been there but I know they have some impressive forests.

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:13 pm

DwainSchroeder wrote:I graduated form Ohio State in 1976 in engineering, but I spent a lot of time at the College of Natural Resources - School of Forestry because that was another one of my interests. The campus had a lot of neat and unusual trees. There were two monster sycamore trees located in an area called the small oval. The trees grew in a large natural swale which provided the moisture that sycamores thrive on. I believe one or both of the trees were plastered with concrete in a few spots to help stop rot that was attacking the trunks. I wonder if the trees are still there.

Well Ohio was the champion on the football field, but I believe that Oregon likely has bigger champion trees. I've never been there but I know they have some impressive forests.

Oregon certainly has bigger conifers, but the hardwoods, interestingly enough, aren't noticeably bigger than the trees out east. I have no idea why.
Attachments
This massive Sitka Spruce is built like a tank! Sequoias will topple over before this one does.
This massive Sitka Spruce is built like a tank! Sequoias will topple over before this one does.
Next to the Cape Mears Giant, Oregon's largest tree at 9k cubes. It has a diameter of 15 feet, or 47ft in circumference, twice the diameter of a large 23 ft sycamore.
Next to the Cape Mears Giant, Oregon's largest tree at 9k cubes. It has a diameter of 15 feet, or 47ft in circumference, twice the diameter of a large 23 ft sycamore.

DwainSchroeder

Post by DwainSchroeder » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:09 pm

I've tried to grow western conifers here in northwest Ohio, but I don't think they like our climate - I guess our winter are too harsh and our summers can be too hot and dry. I tried to grow a few Sitka spruce seedlings once and they just didn't do much and in a few years died off.

That's an impressive Sitka Spruce. I believe my two sons may have seen that same tree a few years ago when hiking out west. Thanks for the pictures.

Dwain Schroeder

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:34 pm

This is a rain forest species that needs a lot of water. Unfortunately the largest specimens were cut down a century ago. The God's Valley Spruce, for example, had a 24 ft diameter, the size of a large Redwood (the Del Norte Titan has a 23.7dbh for comparison). Like Redwoods they grow exceptionally tall with some specimens today reaching over 300 ft. Here's another shot showing the entire base. The height was listed at 182 ft until a recent coastal storm blew more of its top off. Not sure how high it is now.
Attachments
cape mears giant.jpg

Return to “Ohio”