Fort Hill Day Trip - 11/30/14

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Matt Markworth

Fort Hill Day Trip - 11/30/14

Post by Matt Markworth » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:46 pm

All,

After visiting Fort Hill last Sunday, I headed back there again today to see what other big trees are lurking. Upon arrival, as usual, there were no cars in the parking lot. The ancient hilltop enclosure is about 35 acres and there are tall trees extending down from every side. The Fort Hill site is 1200 acres. Another impressive hickory revealed itself and my jaw dropped when I saw the impressive 130.5' American beech. The red maple wasn't too shabby either. After about six hours or so I returned to the parking lot. My car was still the lone automobile, although I was joined by an Amish horse and buggy. All height measurements were done with the Trupulse 200.

American beech - 9'6" x 130.5' - This tree has to be seen in person to truly appreciate. Many tuliptrees in the 140's are nearby, but this tree is the star of the show.

American beech - 8'7" x 125' - In a lower lying area with the red maple.

red maple - 8'3" x 127.5' - New Ohio height record.

pignut hickory - 8'1" x 141.5' x 58' - More points than the one from last week. All the leaves I found had five leaflets, with just one having seven leaflets. As always, let me know if something doesn't look right with the pignut photos.
Museum
Museum
American beech
American beech
red maple
red maple
red maple
red maple
red maple
red maple
pignut hickory
pignut hickory
pignut hickory
pignut hickory
pignut hickory
pignut hickory
pignut hickory
pignut hickory
pignut hickory
pignut hickory
pignut hickory
pignut hickory
pignut hickory
pignut hickory
pignut hickory
pignut hickory
pignut hickory
pignut hickory
Matt

dbhguru

Re: Fort Hill Day Trip - 11/30/14

Post by dbhguru » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:00 pm

Matt,

You're a one man army. The pignut hickory is outstanding, and the height champion red maple is a significant addition. Fort Hill will be a worthy addition to Joan Maloof's Old-growth Forest Network.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Don

Post by Don » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:29 pm

Matt-
I'm sure this will seem off-hand, but your images of the pignut hickories put me in mind of my time on the Daniel Boone NF in Kentucky. In the socially divided world that exists deep in the hollows of the steeply dissected Cumberland Plateau, my in to their world was a man named Sherman Wooton, and 80-year old white haired, white bearded, sparkle in his eye native Kentuckian who lived in a mountain cabin accessed by a footbridge across a stream near Hazard , Kentucky. Sherman made his living in his elder years pretty much 'off-the-land'. He made spare furniture out of walnut and hickory, shaping the walnut pieces "on a horse" with a drawknife, and using hickory bark that he coiled from strips he'd peel off, again with a draw knife, then weaving them into caning for the seats. His rockers sold for $500 and more, and often as not were mailed to recipients through the local post office, with little more than a tag with the recipient's address.
All this to say that the bark in your images reminded me of Sherman's hickory stripping. As a quick aside, Sherman was a tall man, perhaps 6'4", might have weighed 185 pounds, but it was all muscle and tendon and cartilage...you got a solid handshake upon greeting him. Another quick aside, Sherman seasoned his walnut pieces under his cabin, along the creek for a year, sometimes two, and had no known problems with warping, cracking. Last aside? He sold an 8 piece "suite" to this author he thought I might have heard of...one Alex Haley.
--Don
Last edited by Don on Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:36 am

Don,

Great story, thanks for sharing! My wife has a lot of family in Eastern KY and I've met some interesting characters down there. In general, I've found the people of KY to be much more connected to "place" compared to OH.

Matt

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:19 pm

Matt,
Outstanding work, as usual! The pignut resembles the other pignuts you found. The bark is again a mix between pig and red. The pignuts in the area may just have attributes of red. Maples are a tough find above 120', outside of the Smokies and the Blue Ridge escarpment, as are 130' beeches.
Brian

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:09 pm

Matt- Love the Hickory photos. The images of the Bark, Nuts and Leaves really are detailed. Hickories can sometimes be tough to I D. Do you find any Shagbark, Shellbark? Larry

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:56 pm

I like the sturdy form of that beech a lot. Talk about perfect posture. The others seem grotesque in comparison. On a purely aesthetic level this tree blows them away.

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:45 pm

Brian,

Thanks! The tall red maple definitely caught me by surprise. I generally don't see tall red maples in SW Ohio.

Larry,

I haven't noticed any shellbark, but definitely a decent amount of shagbark. It also seems there are a lot of pignut, but not very many bitternut.

S Radivoy,

I agree, the beech has great posture. It is stately, to say the least. The photo does it very little justice.

Matt

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:48 pm

Matt,

Is that 58' spread average or maximum for the hickory? I want to compare the point total with the ones listed on ODNR. It lists a Red at 260pts and a pignut at 230pts. There's one in North Chagrin that's either a pignut or red that I need to measure the crown spread of to see how it compares. thx!

Stefan

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:26 pm

Stefan,

It was an average spread. This forest always has surprises in store. I submitted a report to the Ohio Environmental Council in an effort to get special status for the part of Pike State Forest that is contiguous with Fort Hill. We'll see what the state says.

Matt

Return to “Ohio”