Fort Hill Day Trip - 11/23/14

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Matt Markworth

Fort Hill Day Trip - 11/23/14

Post by Matt Markworth » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:26 pm

All,

I went over to Fort Hill today and had a good day out in the woods. I measured the shagbark hickory that the group (Rand, Daniel, Tom, and me) saw last month and I checked out some new areas as well. Fort Hill is slowly revealing itself. The oaks had impressed me before, and today the hickories impressed me as well - especially the skinny 143.4' pignut. As I passed the Moses Sycamore the wind started picking up and I left before the rain set in.

shagbark hickory - 9' x 126.5' x 48.5' - This tree should at least be an Ohio Co-Champ; there is another shagbark in Cincinnati that I need to verify that is close in points.

pignut hickory - 6'10" x 143.4' x 50' - I'm confident on the ID, but as always with hickories let me know if you have other thoughts based on the photos. This is the tallest known of it's species in Ohio and would be the Ohio Champ (OH doesn't currently have a champ).

tuliptree - 10'1" x 150' - Nice to get a 150 footer within the confines of Fort Hill, as opposed to adjacent Pike State Forest.

blackgum - 8'3" x 106.5' - Love the bark!

chestnut oak: 11'4" - On top of the fort wall
chestnut oak: 11'1" - Near the fort wall
American beech: 11'10" - dead (trunk broke off)
American beech: 11'6"
shagbark hickory
shagbark hickory
pignut hickory
pignut hickory
pignut hickory
pignut hickory
pignut hickory
pignut hickory
pignut hickory
pignut hickory
pignut hickory
pignut hickory
pignut hickory
pignut hickory
blackgum
blackgum
blackgum
blackgum
Matt

dbhguru

Re: Fort Hill Day Trip - 11/23/14

Post by dbhguru » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:17 am

Matt,

Jolly good show. Nancy Stranahan is going to be elated especially with the pignut hickory. It certainly looks piggy to me. I hope it is because that would be the Ohio champ according to what you wrote.

That's #2 for 150-foot tulips on Fort Hill. I got one last August.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

RayA

Post by RayA » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:30 am

Matt,

I echo the sentiments on the blackgum bark... love it!

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:32 am

Matt,
The bark on the "pignut" looks more like red. It isn't as shaggy as red usually is but I believe it is according to the bark. The nuts are dehiscent to the base, indicating red. The five leaf configuration, generally is pignut, but can also be red. Red leaves tend to be larger than pignut. The tree is in a gully but is still upland, another liklihood that it is red. Here's a good site on hickory nuts, which can almost always determine the species if nuts are present with the husk intact. I'd say carya ovalis, red hickory.http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu/pages/carya-fruits.htm The bark on the left side of the closeup photo does look more pignut in appearance. One of the intact nuts certainly has the pignut shape. I'd still go with red but let's see what others have to say.

Awesome black gum bark!
Brian

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:23 pm

Bob,

Thanks. If we can get a couple state champions at Fort Hill, then maybe the Ohio big tree coordinator will want to come down there for one of the future gatherings.

Ray,

I attached a photo showing the other side of the blackgum that has most of the blocks gone. I can't decide which side I like better:) This tree probably has the most distinctive expression of bark that I've seen for the species.

Brian,

Cool, thanks for that site! It's cool to see them laid out side-by-side like that. Some of the other nuts I saw definitely had that pear shape of pignut. I was looking over the bark photos I took, and I think the one that I originally posted is the "reddish" of them all. I've included a couple more that are more "piggish." They're more in line with the left side of the photo that you pointed out on the first one I posted.
27 - Blackgum.jpg
11 - Pignut.jpg
12 - Pignut.jpg
Matt

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:33 pm

Matt,
Those other pics do look a whole lot more like pignut. The weaving pattern of the bark is wide like red but it's also fairly flat, more like pignut. I don't know if the two species intermingle. Some botanists don't even recognize them as separate species. The nut on the tree with the husk splitting all the way shows red. Half the bark shows red and the other shows pignut. I'd still stick with red due to that husk and the very red bark on half of the tree.
Brian

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:41 pm

Matt,

Hard to tell by from the photos but are the nuts flattened? Looks more red to me...

Will

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:54 pm

Brian, Will,

Thanks again for taking a looking at it - much appreciated! I was able to get some additional photos with a flash, which shows the nuts better. The nuts are a little bit flattened as shown in the first photo, and most of them have a pear shape with the husks on.
001.jpg
002.jpg
007.jpg
004.jpg
19.jpg
20.jpg
006.jpg
Matt

Jess Riddle

Post by Jess Riddle » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:48 pm

Matt,

I am comfortable calling that hickory a pignut. The bark looks like what I typically associate with with pignut in the Appalachians, five leaflets leans towards pignut, and I don't see the pear shaped nuts on read. Indehiscent fruits (husks not splitting) are also commonly used to distinguish pignut in keys. I see what Brian and Will are saying with the fruits though. The two without husks do look like red fruits. I have an easier time imagining those two coming off a pignut than I do the pear shaped ones coming off a red, and everything else seems consistent with red.

Jess

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:09 am

Matt,

This is a great tree for the illustration of different bark patterns on different sides of the tree. I agree with B and J about the bark being more piggy on one side than the other. But the first series showed more red... Ugh. Congrats on the careful details and potential state champion!

Will

Return to “Ohio”