Gross (Samuel) Memorial Woods potential?

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Lucas

Gross (Samuel) Memorial Woods potential?

Post by Lucas » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:50 pm

http://jimmccormac.blogspot.ca/2010/11/ ... woods.html

http://naturepreserves.ohiodnr.gov/grossmemorialwoods

Gross (Samuel) Memorial Woods State Nature Preserve
"This 49 acre preserve was made possible by a gift of the heirs of Samuel Gross to the Division of Natural Areas and Preserves via the Ohio Chapter of The Nature Conservancy in 1980. Although small in size, Gross Woods is one of the least disturbed old-growth woods in west-central Ohio and one of the few mixed-species swamp forests remaining in this part of the state.

The woods are characterized by a diversity of tree species, with no one type being dominant. Large bur oaks and basswood occur in the wettest areas, with shagbark hickory, white and red oaks, black walnut, beech and sugar maple on slightly drier ground. The rare pumpkin ash is also present here."

I don't see a mention of this preserve in a search. Maybe it has potential.
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

Matt Markworth

Re: Gross (Samuel) Memorial Woods potential?

Post by Matt Markworth » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:23 pm

Lucas,

It's definitely on my must see list and I should be able to visit this fall or winter. There should be some silver maple there too.

Matt

DwainSchroeder

Re: Gross (Samuel) Memorial Woods potential?

Post by DwainSchroeder » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:35 pm

I visited Gross woods about 10 years ago and then again in the summer of 2014. It is indeed an impressive woods. The woods did take a beating in that widespread June 2012 windstorm, and some nice trees were lost, but most survived.

I also noticed a few large dead oaks still standing and it always makes me wonder if they died from essentially "old age" or are there environmental factor(s) that are killing some of these trees before their time.

Take care,
Dwain Schroeder

Return to “Ohio”