a pair of "tall" ones

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

sradivoy

a pair of "tall" ones

Post by sradivoy » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:08 am

I've located a couple of Bald Cypresses in Northeast Ohio in the 100 ft range. I don't know how significant that is or not. I got various inconsistent readings of 107 ft, 100 ft, and 96 ft depending on my location. Lidar indicates a hit of 106 ft. The Ohio height record is something like 95 ft in the Cincinnati area. I have no idea what the height record is for this latitude.( Ideally the tree should be verified by a qualified tree measurer.) In the meantime I look forward to keeping a watchful eye on the apparent vigorous growth of these remarkable trees with each passing season.
Attachments
008.JPG
019.JPG
cypress knees
cypress knees
013.JPG
011.JPG
012.JPG

bbeduhn

Re: a pair of "tall" ones

Post by bbeduhn » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:30 pm

Very nice, indeed! I'm surprised they can attain triple digits in that climate. They seem to do well outside of their habitat. They even grow well in the mountains.

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:08 am

I'm with Brian, I would imagine at one time most of rivers throughout the US would have had large tall Cypress. To what max height at it's northern range I'm not sure> Way Cool stuff!!!
distichum.jpg
distichum.jpg (32.33 KiB) Viewed 903 times
Range Map of Bald Cypress and a link. http://www.na.fs.fed.us/pubs/silvics_ma ... tichum.htm Larry

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:14 pm

bbeduhn wrote:Very nice, indeed! I'm surprised they can attain triple digits in that climate. They seem to do well outside of their habitat. They even grow well in the mountains.
Brian,
The "Jopetha" tree soars above Lakeview Cemetery alongside a pond by Wade Chapel.

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:38 pm

There are about a dozen Baldies of which eight are of significant height, around 75 ft and above (eyeball estimate). Only two are in the 100 ft range, both next to each other. The Lakeview Cypress is only slightly shorter than Jopetha. No diameters were measured. The largest girth tree broke in half.
Attachments
Jopetha is to the left of the obelisk. The Lakeview Cypress is to the right. In the far left is the broken tree. The trees are at about a ten foot lower elevation than the plateau in which this shot was taken.
Jopetha is to the left of the obelisk. The Lakeview Cypress is to the right. In the far left is the broken tree. The trees are at about a ten foot lower elevation than the plateau in which this shot was taken.

Don

Post by Don » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:16 pm

With a friend running up a good carpenters tape to measure the height of the obelisk, and the friend running a 100' or 200' tape from the point where the photo was taken, to the tree, you could get a pretty good approximation of the Cypresses heights using "Similar Triangles" Method!
Just saying...
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

Return to “Ohio”