My first "big" tree catch!

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

sradivoy

My first "big" tree catch!

Post by sradivoy » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:45 pm

I came across a nice red oak the other day on a busy road within the city limits of Cleveland proper. It measures (I'm new to this) a height of 65.9' with a girth of 221.5". As a novice I'm not proficient enough to identify for certain what specific species it is. I'm pretty sure it's either a Northern Red Oak or an Eastern Black Oak. Judging by the bowl shaped acorn cup I think it's the latter. Hopefully the following pictures will help you in positively identifying this very nice neighborly oak for me. Thanks for your help.
Attachments
016.JPG
015.JPG
014.JPG
013.JPG
012.JPG
004.JPG
003.JPG
002.JPG
001.JPG

edfrank

Re: My first "big" tree catch!

Post by edfrank » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:20 pm

I would have called it a Northern Red Oak Quercus rubra because the leaves are not as indented as black oak, and the bark looks more like red oak to me. There isn't that much difference in the acorns. That being said, as soon as I post something like this there always seems to be a dozen comments explaining that it is really some other species.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:39 am

In all likelihood its probably a Northern. The bark and leaves are consistent with a Northern. The acorns of this tree, however, are atypical. I was expecting to see a more oblong nut attached to a shallow saucer-like cup that is characteristic of a Northern. This one has a deep bowl-like depression characteristic of a Black or perhaps a Shumard. The leaves don't have the thick glossy leathery feel of a Black Oak. Perhaps an indication of a hybrid of some kind?

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:22 pm

Northern red all the way. In what part of the city is it located?

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:16 am

Agreed on red oak, and the bark is showing some age characteristics. It's probably in at least 120-150 years old. My experience has been that northern red oak acorns can be pretty variable in form even from the same tree, as can the depth of sinuses in the leaves.

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:58 am

Congratulations- Nice Northern Red Oak. It's Live Oak size!!! Larry

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:32 am

bbeduhn wrote:Northern red all the way. In what part of the city is it located?
Brian,
The "Liberty" Oak (as I like to call it) resides along M.L.K. Boulevard within the Cultural Gardens of Rockefeller Park.

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:56 am

Erik Danielsen wrote:Agreed on red oak, and the bark is showing some age characteristics. It's probably in at least 120-150 years old. My experience has been that northern red oak acorns can be pretty variable in form even from the same tree, as can the depth of sinuses in the leaves.

Thanks for the feedback. This gives me the confidence to post the correct species name in places like Treesdb.org. The old age characteristics show up quite well when enlarging the photos. This is definitely a "character" tree which I value most in a tree. This tree's "personality" show up well in the bottom two photos. Clearly there's a tree "spirit" struggling to get out with its open mouth, trunk-like nose, protruding eye, and outstretched arms. This creature approached me out of no where and said "BOO!! Makes for an interesting Halloween tree, and it couldn't have come at a better time in my life after the recent demise of my favorite tree the Kalaloch Cedar. A new found friend.

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:59 am

MLK Boulevard, or as I knew it in my youth, Liberty Boulevard, was constructed in 1897, after land was donated by billionaire industrialist John D. Rockefeller. I would guess that the red oak was planted within a year of that date. If so, that is a very fast growing tree for Northen Ohio. There is a nine mile long strip of white oaks running from Gordon Park, by Lake Erie, to Shaker Heights, called Liberty Row, which was planted in 1919, to commemmorate the end of WWI. What other tree treasures lurk along MLK Boulevard?

mdvaden

Post by mdvaden » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:26 pm

That's a nice tree.

How about a human for scale ... lol

Hey, when I first read your post, my eyes wandered to the 2nd line's 221 inches for girth ... and at first I thought it was 221 ft for height ... !!!!

Looks like a rock solid tree.

M. D. Vaden of Oregon = http://www.mdvaden.com

200 Pages - Coast Redwoods - http://www.mdvaden.com/grove_of_titans.shtml

Portraits & Weddings - http://www.vadenphotography.com

Return to “Ohio”