Fort Hill, Ohio

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Fort Hill, Ohio

Post by dbhguru » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:47 pm

NTS,

Monica and I took a detour today and explored some of the mature forest on the Forth Hill Site in southern Ohio. All I can say is WOW!! What a splendid forest. I didn't have much time, but did get a tuliptree to 150.6 feet, and I may not have hit the top. Two others were over 140. The American beech trees there are off the charts. There is nothing in New England to compare with what I saw today. I also saw spectacular white oaks. More to come.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Erik Danielsen

Re: Fort Hill, Ohio

Post by Erik Danielsen » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:28 pm

Can't wait to hear about the great Beeches!

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:56 pm

Bob,

Nice find on the tuliptree. It seems that the tuliptrees top out at around 150' at the site, as the tallest that Rand and I found was 9'8" x 150.9', which was actually in adjacent Pike State Forest. The beeches there didn't make a big impression on me, so I'm interested to see what you found. The oaks were what blew me away.

The next time you're passing through Ohio you'll have to check out California Woods. The tallest trees are in three adjacent, small coves and can be seen quickly. California Woods has the most primeval feel of any of the old growth that I've seen in Ohio.

Matt
Last edited by Matt Markworth on Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:30 pm

Matt,

Monica and I are going to route ourselves back through Ohio and I hope to revisit Fort Hill and also check out California Woods. With respect to the beeches, New England American beech trees tend to be on the thin side. Large forest grown ones tend to be 6 to around 9 feet at most. The species gets larger in Ohio. What's the largest forest grown beech you've measured in Ohio?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:38 pm

Bob,

I haven't measured girth on a lot of beeches, but 10' to 11' CBH is what I've seen forest-grown beech top out at down here in SW Ohio. I got 11.2' on a beauty in Germantown Metropark. The Trees database shows a 13.08' specimen up in North Chagrin Reservation in NE Ohio.

I've been hiking up and down a steep trail at California Woods recently in an attempt to get my legs more prepared for CO. I'll measure the beeches along the trail to see how big they are. My suspicion is that I'm spoiled by the big, healthy beeches down here and should appreciate them a little more.

Matt

Return to “Ohio”