OH State Champ N Red Oak

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

guymeilleur

OH State Champ N Red Oak

Post by guymeilleur » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:55 pm

I got to climb this last August, and wrote up the visit for Arborist News, June 2014 edition. 108" dbh; from the tomograph it looks like 3 or more trunks fused over time, and is now trying to come apart at the seams.
Attachments
Dendro_fig05.jpg
Dendro_fig02.jpg
Dendro_fig04.jpg
Dendro_fig01.jpg
Guy Meilleur, ISA Board-Certified Master Arborist, www.historictreecare.com

Managing trees for size, longevity, and benefits

Larry Tucei

Re: OH State Champ N Red Oak

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu May 01, 2014 7:19 am

Guy- That's a whooper of a Red Oak. I wonder what age it would be? Larry

guymeilleur

Post by guymeilleur » Fri May 02, 2014 10:06 pm

Hi Larry,

"It", or "They"? ;) from the extent of the open area in the middle, I doubt that coring, even the branches, would yield a SWAG on age. Not sure of ENTS protocol on multiple trunk fusion, if that is indeed the case. I hope to re-climb it this summer, but a lot of chores would come ahead of coring.

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Tue May 06, 2014 5:45 pm

Hi Guy-

If you get back to re-climb the oak this summer, you might also want to visit this red oak, which is nearby, in Westlake. The Westlake tree is a single pith with a cbh of 21', if I recall correctly, and around 98' in height.
red oak 2.jpg
Red Oak 2b.jpg
Steve
every plant is native somewhere

guymeilleur

Post by guymeilleur » Wed May 07, 2014 6:42 am

A very handsome tree; thanks!

Bart Bouricius

Post by Bart Bouricius » Wed May 07, 2014 8:39 am

Guy,

Nice tree, but as you noticed it is clearly 2 or 3 trees that grew together over time. It is also quite swollen at the bottom, which is typical of multi-trunk trees. After measuring trees for a period of time, many people develop an aesthetic in favor of single trunk trees. Beyond that, the form that grows in the forest with a tall trunk and high crown spread is particularly appealing at least to me. For me it is the monarch of the forest (where the tree evolved it's form), vs the monarch of the lawn. I'm sure there are plenty of folks though, who will have a different view.

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Wed May 07, 2014 4:07 pm

Steve Galehouse wrote:Hi Guy-

If you get back to re-climb the oak this summer, you might also want to visit this red oak, which is nearby, in Westlake. The Westlake tree is a single pith with a cbh of 21', if I recall correctly, and around 98' in height.
red oak 2.jpg
Red Oak 2b.jpg
Steve
THAT TREE IS SO WORTHY!!!! Ignore the fusion one (as a champ) and move on to this tree.

guymeilleur

Post by guymeilleur » Wed May 07, 2014 8:30 pm

We had 6-8 people clustered around the tomograph image, guessing how many trunks fused to make this trunk; 1, 3, 5? I did not mean to open that can of fusion worms; I only want to manage hollow trees without someone with a drill and a formula saying it's gotta go. If OH says it's a champ, I lack the zeal to appeal that decision.

Bart, I've been climbing trees for pay for 48 years, and that aesthetic of a trunk that is clearly singular and a crown that is open grown has escaped me entirely. It's one form, of many potential forms. Its appeal is certainly striking, but the appeal of the older, squatter relic is just as appealing to me. Dependence on a common aesthetic for unity is one symptom of a cult.

Bart Bouricius

Post by Bart Bouricius » Wed May 07, 2014 8:49 pm

Guy,

As I said, I don't expect everyone to have the same taste I do. I guess I am just a cultish purist who prefers nature to human influenced environments, not that totally untouched by human environments actually exist. That is just me and my own taste and I did not mean to imply that other ways of appreciating trees are wrong. Aesthetics is after all a personal feeling. I do enjoy a spreading white oak on a lawn, just more a tree in the forest.

guymeilleur

Post by guymeilleur » Thu May 08, 2014 2:34 pm

All good Bart; I'm a card-carrying environment influencer, relishing the interaction.

Return to “Ohio”