Fort Hill (OH)

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Rand

Re: Fort Hill (OH)

Post by Rand » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:39 pm

Matt Markworth wrote:
Here are some more images of the tall black cherry that show what must be a paw paw patch.

Matt
Jeeze, that photo really puts the vertigo inducing curve of that tree into perspective.

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:48 am

Matt, Rand,
Wow! That site is impressive!!! A report like this inspires ENTS to get out and check out new areas. 140' white oaks are one rare commodity, as are 140' cherries. the American basswood is equally impressive. I assume the fat sycamore is a remnant and shows some forest grown and some open grown attributes. can't wait to hear more about this site.
Brian

Rand

Post by Rand » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:48 am

Yeah, that's a pretty good description of the sycamore. All the trees around it looked very young (Maybe 30-40 years.), like it had stood in a field for most of its 'adult' life.

Looking at the height of the oaks, I'm hopeful that some very tall hickories will turn up if we look in the right places.

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:30 pm

I'm anxious to read about the dimensions of that large, age old tulipifera that wasn't measured during your first visit.

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:46 pm

sradivoy wrote:I'm anxious to read about the dimensions of that large, age old tulipifera that wasn't measured during your first visit.
I walked up the ravine to see this tree up close. With leaves still on the surrounding trees, I wasn't able to see the top. Also, it's on a very steep slope, and getting the CBH would have caused too much soil damage, so I didn't attempt it. I'll be back there and can get a height and some photos of the trunk.

Matt

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:42 pm

Randy- Super post! Fort Hill area looks like a super site with some of the tallest trees you guys have found in Ohio- Congrats to all!! Love to see Ohio again sometime but to measure trees next time. Did a Welding Certification at Hobart Welding Institute in Troy back in 09 just up from Dayton. Larry

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:20 pm

Rand,

I didn't write down everything from our last trip. If you have a chance, can you post an updated Rucker 10? (I think Nancy wants to use it for an article)

Thanks, Matt

Bart Bouricius

Post by Bart Bouricius » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:28 pm

Remarkable find, 3 oak species and a cherry all at 140' or better!

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:48 pm

Ents,

On April 19, 2015, Dr. Joan Maloof will dedicate Fort Hill, OH as part of the Old Growth Forest Network. John Davis, Monica, and I and I expect Matt and Rand will be there to be part of the ceremony. Details to come.

The partnership between Arc of Appalachia and NTS continues to develop.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Jess Riddle

Post by Jess Riddle » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:35 pm

I've gotten to spend more time with shumard oaks over the last few months, and the more I look at the photos of the mystery oak, the less it looks like shumard to me. All the characters seem well within the range of variability for northern red oak.

Jess

Return to “Ohio”