Requiem for an old field tree

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Rand

Requiem for an old field tree

Post by Rand » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:22 pm

Just north of Marysville on US 31 was this fine old field tree:
IMG_0991.jpg
In general these old field trees are fossils of a bygone era when farms were smaller and worked by animal power. I've heard various explanations of why they escaped the original land clearance, but they usually revolve around providing islands of shade, either for cattle when the fields were rotated into pasture, or for the teams of draft animals used for plowing and harvest, to rest under over lunch, etc. After the era of draft animals passed they remained because they are almost as much trouble to remove as they are to plow around... except when the property changes hands and then the new owner eliminates them in a fit of industrious pissiness. Over the years a stead trickle of these trees and their associated fence rows have disappeared. I've been able to count the rings on the stumps of a few and they generally range from 100-130 years old.

So finally this sad sight greeted me this winter:
_MG_8342.jpg
_MG_8343.jpg
<<Long, sad sigh>>

Larry Tucei

Re: Requiem for an old field tree

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:30 am

Randy- I know what you mean I see this all the time. Larry

Rand

Post by Rand » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:12 pm

One of the local woodlots across the road from my childhood home was full of trees that size. The previous owner had kept it mowed into an open parklike expanse. Had one of the few big forest grown walnuts you see around (It had a hollow midway up the trunk) However, he died and the new owner cleared the place. The lame-assed excuse when questioned? He couldn't keep it mowed.

Really? REALLY? How about some honesty, like 'I could make a quick buck on the timber, and the loss of those extra 11 acres of soybeans was just too much for my greed and avarice to abide.

It made me so sick I couldn't bear to take pictures of it. Google Earths capture the moment of just before they started in:
Searson's woods-1.jpg
Searson's woods-2.jpg

John Harvey

Post by John Harvey » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:54 am

I witnessed something similar this weekend. There is a huge Tulip Tree I liked to visit and it sat on an intersection. I guess they were afraid the branches would fall on cars even though there was no disease and they had been hanging over the road for a hundred or two hundred years. They cut them all off! The tree is doomed now and has no leaf producing branches left. I couldn't take a picture of it because it pissed me off. But here's the tree in its glory. Just picture the tree now as a large totem pole and you have it.
Attachments
120806_0036.jpg
Tulip Poplar Salem 17ft9in.jpg
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox

Rand

Post by Rand » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:44 am

Ouch. My condolences....

tclikesbigtrees

Post by tclikesbigtrees » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:38 pm

So that Tulip tree in Salem county has been butchered?! I wanted to go see that tree some where along the way. I don't understand why people see trees as something that is just in the way. I also don't understand why people treat trees as if they are bushes or shrubs and top them or constantly trim them. The tree that this post is actually about looked like it was in a place where there never would be a reason whatsoever to cut it down. It just proves what I said in my third sentence is true.

Rand

Post by Rand » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:58 pm

Referring to the first tree in this post. Six years later and the stump, and the big gnarling block of wood where the first limbs flare from the trunk is still lying in the field. What I wish I could say, 'You can't bear to leave a beautiful tree standing, but are plenty content to steer around the mess you left behind.' Just a wonderful specimen of humanity a work...

ryandallas

Post by ryandallas » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:03 pm

Wow, what a waste of an amazing tree. Sorry to hear about the lot by your old home.

Return to “Ohio”