National Champion Shingle Oak has been cut down

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Yeti

National Champion Shingle Oak has been cut down

Post by Yeti » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:56 pm

The National Champion Shingle Oak (Quercus imbricaria) reign as such since 1989 has been cut down due to home owners worried about tree falling over. The tree CBH 231, 117' tall, 88' crown spread.
http://www.americanforests.org/bigtree/ ... mbricaria/

John Harvey

Re: National Champion Shingle Oak has been cut down

Post by John Harvey » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:12 pm

That's awful. I've seen many a giant tree cut down for the same reason. Unless its diseased I don't see the point.
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox

Yeti

Post by Yeti » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:13 pm

It had some major rot on one side and i'm not sure what in the canopy. I'm not sure what one can do to close up such holes.

John Harvey

Post by John Harvey » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:44 pm

I've seen trees filled with cement before. Regardless though, if the tree is damaged or diseased enough to fall on your house and kill your family I guess you have to take it down. I've seen too many healthy giants taken down "just in case".
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox

Return to “Ohio”