Girthy Swamp White Oak (SW OH)

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Matt Markworth

Girthy Swamp White Oak (SW OH)

Post by Matt Markworth » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:08 pm

Hi All,

Girthy isn't a word, but it seems more fitting than other adjectives when I describe a tree with great girth. There are probably Swamp White Oaks out there with a greater girth, but this is the girthiest (oops, did it again) one that I've seen.

I was driving along a road that I frequently travel and noticed a big Oak crown about a third of a mile away. The tree is on the grounds of a retirement village with surrounding terrain that is very flat. The first 4 photos were taken on Nov 9th and as you can see many of the leaves were down. The 5th photo was taken today. The last photo shows the long stalk of the Swamp White Oak's acorn.

Girth: 17'2"
Ht: 82.9'
Avg Spread: 90'
swamp white oak 2.jpg
swamp white oak 1.jpg
swamp white oak 3.jpg
swamp white oak 4.jpg
swamp white oak 6.jpg
swamp white oak 5.jpg
Matt

Steve Galehouse

Re: Girthy Swamp White Oak (SW OH)

Post by Steve Galehouse » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:48 pm

Matt, NTS-

Here are a couple of pics of a swamp white oak in a Cleveland metropark, 15'10'' cbh x 103'. Swamp white and bur oak are very similar in their bark and growth characteristics.
Swamp white oak 15'10'' cbh x 103'.jpg
Swamp white oak full view.jpg
every plant is native somewhere

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:05 pm

Steve, All,

Here's one that is located in Centerville, OH.

As shown in the last photo, the teeth of the leaves are not as rounded as the leaves on the first tree in this post.

Girth: 15'
Ht: 84.3'
Avg Spread: 87'
green park swamp white 1.jpg
green park swamp white 2.jpg
green park swamp white 3.jpg
green park swamp white 4.jpg
Matt

'

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:27 am

Matt, Steve- Awesome Swamp White Oaks, they are huge and way larger then any I've ever seen. Swamp White Oak grows all the way down to Costal Ms. but the range maps only show it to northern Ala. Larry
Attachments
Quercus_bicolor_range_map.jpg
Quercus_bicolor_range_map.jpg (34.45 KiB) Viewed 1277 times
quercus-bicolor-swamp-white-oak-map.gif

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:48 pm

Matt, Larry, NTS-

Here in N Ohio swamp white and bur oak are often found together, and seem to mix pretty freely. Here is a photo showing foliage that looks intermediate between the two species.
DPP_0886.jpg
Steve

Rand

Post by Rand » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:31 pm

Steve Galehouse wrote:Matt, Larry, NTS-

Here in N Ohio swamp white and bur oak are often found together, and seem to mix pretty freely. Here is a photo showing foliage that looks intermediate between the two species.
DPP_0886.jpg
Steve
I once had a leaf like that back in college, same general bur oak shape, but the sinus were really pointed like S.W. Had a really elegant look to it too; kinda like a shumard vs. regular red oak. I was walking in a woods and just happen to look down and see it there. Just the one leaf too. Wandered around a bit and never did find the tree it came from.

I took into college professor and they keyed it out as a S.W. based on the forks in the fine hairs on the underside of the leaf. I put it somewhere in my college textbooks and haven't seen it since. Arrg..

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:25 pm

Rand, Matt, Larry, NTS-

One of the striking characteristics of swamp white oak is the glossiness of the foliage compared with white oak, similar to the difference between scarlet oak and northern red oak. Bur oak has more gloss than white, but not as much as swamp white; the difference is best noticed from a distance. Swamp white and bur oak foliage below:
swamp white.jpg
bur.jpg

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:11 pm

Steve- Great photo for comparison of the two species. I'll remember about the glossiness, thanks. Larry

Return to “Ohio”