A 24 Hour Tour of NE Ohio

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Steve Galehouse

Re: A 24 Hour Tour of NE Ohio

Post by Steve Galehouse » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:16 pm

Rand-
As broad and flat-topped that tree is, I'm just surprised you could come back and find the same leader from year to year.

Also I was staring at the picture. Is it just me or does it look like the snag immediately to the right, broke in half, and the broken half scuffed the base of the tree before rolling downhill, creating the hollow. Petty, kamikaze tree revenge.
I took some time sighting the top, and it was a while before I got a hit that I felt was the tallest. It is a big broad crown, and looks no taller than other nearby tall tulips, but it is. I mentioned to Matt that the dead patch might have been caused by another tree falling against it and scuffing it; there really is no other explanation other than that. The 163+ tulip on the other side of the road is still wondrously healthy and youthful in appearance(unlike myself).

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:11 pm

Larry Tucei wrote:Matt- Nice Post. Sand Run must have the maximum heights of trees in Ohio at the present time? I remember seeing some photos of old that showed huge and tall trees throughout the Ohio River Valley. I imagine before the logging of the 19th century that most of Ohio would have had huge tall trees! That Tulip tree is Awesome!! Larry
Larry,

I was looking at the photos of the tall Cucumbertree at Sand Run and just now noticed your post.

I think that Sand Run represents the tallest individual site that we have in Ohio. Based on the Trees database, it has the highest RHI10 for a single site in Ohio at 138.2'. Even before measuring any trees, I was able to tell that the canopy was taller than what I experience in SW Ohio.

Matt

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:26 pm

Matt, NTS-

There is another site near Sand Run, Everett Woods in the CVNP, that comes close to the canopy height at Sand Run. Rand Brown and I have only measured it once, and rather hurriedly, and we came up an RH10 of 131'. It contains the state height records for sycamore(154.5') and black walnut(133'), as well as 150'+ tulips. I think there are more tall trees in other species, and perhaps some 160' tulips there. Worth a visit if you get back north sometime.

http://treesdb.azurewebsites.net/Browse ... 51/Details

Steve

Rand

Post by Rand » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:41 pm

I looked up the Lidar Survey and there are pretty high hits in both valleys at everett:
everett.JPG
For reference the Lidar is looking at the two valley's in the center of this view in GE:
everett-overview.JPG
I don't remember, steve, did we get into both valley's or just one?

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:55 pm

Rand, NTS-

I think we got to both, but only touched on the second---I think the tall walnut was at the top of the second ravine/valley. The tall sycamore, tulip, and cherry were near the base of the first valley. The site deserves a more thorough exploration, I think.

Steve

Return to “Ohio”