A 24 Hour Tour of NE Ohio

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Matt Markworth

A 24 Hour Tour of NE Ohio

Post by Matt Markworth » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:47 am

Hi All,

In a mere 24 hours, one can really only scratch the surface of the big tree treasures that await the visitor to NE Ohio. Not to mention the 14 hour span from sunset to sunrise, well you can see the challenge. Three main things come to mind: TALL trees, amazing Hemlocks, and a big dose of hospitality. A big thanks to Steve and Mitch Galehouse for sharing with me a glimpse of what the region has to offer and I will definitely be back for future adventures.

Arriving in Mohican State Park in late afternoon, I had a couple hours of daylight to set up camp and to hike around a bit. The Clear Fork of the Mohican River is a special place and Campground B provides a great car camping experience right on the river, far away from the RVers in Campground A.

View from the campsite . . .
DSCN1666.jpg
DSCN1661.jpg
Impressive Hemlock above river: Ht: 142.9', CBH: 10' . . .
DSCN1651.jpg
160'+ Tuliptree . . .
DSCN1657.jpg
After a crisp night under the stars, I walked down to the end of the campground to take a look at the state's tallest measured Eastern White Pine (Here is Steve's report from a couple years ago when he and Rand visited: http://www.ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=2211). There it stood above a couple of occupied campsites, the only other campsites occupied in the entire campground. There was a dude with a mohawk swinging an ax at the campsite and I didn't have a lot of time on my hands for chit chat, so I didn't take any measurements.

I broke camp and headed up to Sand Run Metropark for a day of adventure. There I met up with Steve, Mitch, and also a local fellow named Mike. Why don't we have tall trees like this in SW Ohio?! Topography and soil types I suppose. I doubt the people in the surrounding neighborhoods know, or would even think twice, that the tallest measured tree in Ohio is a short hike away. There are so many tall trees around that one doesn't know where to start.

Here's an impressive Cucumber Magnolia that Steve spotted and measured to a height of 132'. I measured the CBH at 7'.
DSCN1671b.jpg
DSCN1673.jpg
141.8' Bitternut Hickory previously measured by Steve, I got an updated CBH at 6' 1" . . .
DSCN1677.jpg
Next up is the Bob Leverett Tuliptree, the 170 footer (I think Steve's updated measurement is 171'). As Steve said in an old post, it's the epitome of a southern gentleman that feels at home in the North. I got an updated CBH at 15' 3" . . .
DSCN1681.jpg
DSCN1679.jpg
Another columnar Tuliptree at Sand Run . . .
DSCN1692.jpg
Hemlock/Beech scene at Sand Run . . .
DSCN1695.jpg
After leaving the tall trees of Sand Run, we headed over to see the Carolina Hemlocks within Cuyahoga Valley National Park. What a treasure. I have never experienced this species before and what an impression they make. The bark, needles, and cone are distinctive from the Eastern Hemlock and they are now etched in my memory. What a great tree and what a photogenic site!

The magnificent Carolina Hemlocks . . .
DSCN1701.jpg
DSCN1702.jpg
DSCN1703.jpg
DSCN1710.jpg
DSCN1708.jpg
DSCN1711.jpg
DSCN1713b.jpg
Carolina Hemlock on the left, Eastern Hemlock on the right . . .
DSCN1716.jpg
Regeneration . . .
DSCN1727.jpg
Looks like 20 is the maximum number of attachments . . . to be continued . . .
Last edited by Matt Markworth on Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:10 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Matt Markworth

Re: A 24 Hour Tour of NE Ohio

Post by Matt Markworth » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:29 pm

. . . Is this Ohio??
DSCN1729.jpg
Yellow Birch . . .
DSCN1731.jpg
And just think, if this rain wouldn’t have moved in it would have been 48 hours!

Matt

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:56 pm

Matt-

Mitch and I had a great time showing you around Sand Run and Ritchie Ledges; I'm glad you took the time to come up to the area and explore. There are a lot of other choice sites near here, and I'll be glad to be your tour guide when you make it up here again.

At Sand Run, by a big hemlock:
Matt-hemlock.jpg

At Richie Ledges, with a nice tuliptree:
Matt at Ritchie Ledges.jpg
Steve
every plant is native somewhere

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:02 pm

Matt, Steve,

That 171-foot tulip is cosmic cool! Unless I'm mistaken, I believe it is the farthest north of the 170-foot tulips.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:29 pm

Bob, NTS-

Here is a shot of Matt at the base of the 171' x 15'3'' tuliptree. The big dead section at the base hasn't seemed to slow it down. This site is at 41+ latitude; I'm not sure how far north other 170' tulips have been found.
DSCI3086.jpg

Rand

Post by Rand » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:34 pm

Steve Galehouse wrote:Bob, NTS-

Here is a shot of Matt at the base of the 171' x 15'3'' tuliptree.
That's sweet that you were able to wrest another foot out of that beast.

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:45 pm

Rand-

It's been a couple of years since we measured it, I think. I was afraid Sandy might have taken her toll, but evidently not.

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:27 pm

Hi All,

Another look at the Carolina Hemlocks, enjoy . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwsoLgVrXMo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwsoLgVrXMo

Matt

Rand

Post by Rand » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:38 pm

Steve Galehouse wrote:Rand-

It's been a couple of years since we measured it, I think. I was afraid Sandy might have taken her toll, but evidently not.
As broad and flat-topped that tree is, I'm just surprised you could come back and find the same leader from year to year.

Also I was staring at the picture. Is it just me or does it look like the snag immediately to the right, broke in half, and the broken half scuffed the base of the tree before rolling downhill, creating the hollow. Petty, kamikaze tree revenge.

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:55 pm

Matt- Nice Post. Sand Run must have the maximum heights of trees in Ohio at the present time? I remember seeing some photos of old that showed huge and tall trees throughout the Ohio River Valley. I imagine before the logging of the 19th century that most of Ohio would have had huge tall trees! That Tulip tree is Awesome!! Larry

Return to “Ohio”