State Champion Chestnut Oak (Quercus prinus)

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Yeti

State Champion Chestnut Oak (Quercus prinus)

Post by Yeti » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:53 am

Last April I traveled out with a couple members of the Ohio Department of Natural Resources to relocate and measure the State Champion Chestnut Oak. Tom Robison also joined along since the hike through Shawnee State Forest was about 2.5 miles and over seveal ridges. The end resulted finding this 116' foot tall, 13'6" (162") Chestnut Oak siting right on the Ridge Line. Hardest tree I've measured so far. Mostly because after hiking those 2.5 miles in with all my gear I then had to climb to the tip. Yes we had a Laser, but that was showing 7' taller than what we measured and it was before Bob and Will's class on how to properly take measurements. Here's a picture.

Click on image to see its original size

That area of forest was nailed with an ice snow that wiped out most of the tall tulips, the DNR began hiking throw the woods inspecting the damage and marking trees for removal. Daniel Bartlett who found he tree was lucky enough to forwad think and sprayed the tree in all directions "KEEP!!!" to pervent logges from cuting it down. The terain was so bad in the area they hauled all the logs out with helicopters. He said it took 3 months doing this to clear out all he fallen trees.

DwainSchroeder

Re: State Champion Chestnut Oak (Quercus prinus)

Post by DwainSchroeder » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:05 pm

Does anyone have any more information or pictures of this state champion chestnut oak tree in Shawnee State Forest in southern Ohio? I can't open the picture in Yeti's posting. Is the tree single stemmed? It sounds like they had some bad storm damage down there, and they have done some logging, but I assume the tree is still intact.

I may be traveling through the area this fall and would like to see the tree. I contacted a state forester who is aware of the tree but has never seen it.

Thanks,
Dwain Schroeder

DwainSchroeder

Re: State Champion Chestnut Oak (Quercus prinus)

Post by DwainSchroeder » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:34 pm

Today I was able to get in contact with the DNR forester who came upon the tree several years ago during a logging operation. He measured the tree and realized its significance, and fortunately kept the loggers away from it. He said that it does have a tall single clear stem and has obviously grown in competition with other trees. He was able to give me directions on how to find the tree.

Return to “Ohio”