Johnson Nature Preserve (OH) - 14 years after Tornado

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Matt Markworth

Johnson Nature Preserve (OH) - 14 years after Tornado

Post by Matt Markworth » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:44 pm

Hi All,

After the tornado of 1999, the City of Montgomery decided to leave the downed trees alone and let the forest regenerate naturally. It makes for some interesting growth patterns, especially the Tuliptree.

http://enquirer.com/editions/1999/04/13 ... aches.html

Here is a view of the growth 14 years after the tornado . . .
Tuliptree
Tuliptree
Tuliptree
Tuliptree
Tuliptree
Tuliptree
Tuliptree
Tuliptree
Black Cherry
Black Cherry
Black Cherry
Black Cherry
Boxelder
Boxelder
- Matt

edfrank

Re: Johnson Nature Preserve (OH) - 14 years after Tornado

Post by edfrank » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:03 pm

Matt,

I am curious if any of these examples are setting their own roots or are they all growing through attachments to the old root system? I see new roots in black willows frequently. I saw fallen sycamores and some grow new roots growing into the ground from the base of the upturned limb/trunks separate from the original root system. This is not true in every case. I am just curios what tree species will do this.

Edward Forrest Frank
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:11 pm

Here is a link to another state park here in Pennsylvania - Parker Dam State Park - that has a "Windstorm Preserve"
http://www.nativetreesociety.org/fieldt ... e_park.htm and a small bit here:
http://www.nativetreesociety.org/fieldt ... eserve.htm
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:36 pm

Ed,

Cool, thanks for the links.

I didn't see any evidence that any of the offshoots had established their own root system. Without self-supporting roots, I think that many of them may eventually fall off of the original trunk under their own weight. I think the survivors will be the ones that sprouted near the ground surface of the original trunk and they may be growing new root systems. Here's an example:
Tuliptree
Tuliptree
It was also interesting to see this small offshoot from a tree that fell 14 years ago . . .
Tuliptree
Tuliptree

- Matt

Return to “Ohio”