Secrest Arboretum

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Rand

Secrest Arboretum

Post by Rand » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:38 pm

[album][/album]Secrest Arboretum is a pretty arboretum outside of Wooster Ohio in the north central region of the state. Terrain is gently rolling.
Nice collection of exotic conifers and nice landscaping in general. Pictures are from fall 2006.

Click on image to see its original size

Landscape:

White pines:

Dawn Redwoods:

Maples:

Japense Maple and some Birches

Jenny

Re: Secrest Arboretum

Post by Jenny » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:25 am

What a beautiful arboretum and beautiful pix. Thanks for posting them.

Jenny
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:40 am

Randy-

I used to stop at Secrest frequently when I had a project in Millersburg. I particularly remember a big incense cedar,golden-larch and bigleaf magnolia. Also the plantation plots were interesting---there was about a quarter acre stand of American beech planted adjacent to a stand of European beech, with similar comparison plots of other related species.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

Rand

Post by Rand » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:25 pm

Secrest Arboretum was hit by a significant tornado last year. Steve Galehouse reported this, but wasn't able to get any pictures. I stopped last weekend and found the area is opened. It appears the northern part was hit very hard in a swath ~200-250 yards wide. This area was predominantly native woodland with some short exotics planted in the understory. The short exotics survived but the native forest was smashed:
Tornado Blowdown panorama
Tornado Blowdown panorama
On of the saddest casualties was a massive red oak ~ 6.5' diameter at ground level. I counted 183 rings. If I remember right this tree was short and squat:
183 year old Red Oak Stump
183 year old Red Oak Stump
The Blowdown stopped just short of the dawn redwoods plot, planted, according to the sign, in 1953. The tallest was 7' 3.5" x 111.6' tall. Not the isolated specimen in the front center just behind the yews, which is broken off 1/3 of the way up (This is the tree pictured in the foreground in the second dawn redwood in my original post above). The area where I'm standing used to be forested. The staff apparently took the opportunity to regrade the whole area because of a rapidly eroding ravine behind me and to the left.
Attachments
Dawn Redwood plot
Dawn Redwood plot

Rand

Post by Rand » Wed May 15, 2013 9:55 pm

A complete Survey of the Dawn Redwood Grove turned up a slightly taller tree in the interior of the grove: 5' 10.0" x 113.5', with 5 trees 110' and higher, 10 trees between 100' and 110' tall, and 5 trees between 90' and 100' tall.

Data is compiled in the position the trees are planted. North is up.
Sec-data.jpg
secrest 1.jpg
Looking south at the grove. The first visible row corresponds to the first row in the table above. Tallest tree in this View is 7' 5.0" x 111.0' tall. The fattest is in the first row, clear to the right, 7' 9.5" x 104.0'
secrest 2.jpg
secrest-3.jpg

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Fri May 17, 2013 1:45 pm

Rand,
Thanks for getting back there and measuring the grove. I'm very impressed that so many have topped 110' that far north. I haven't seen that sized grove anywhere before. It's very fortunate that the tornado missed them.
Brian

Rand

Post by Rand » Fri May 17, 2013 3:01 pm

There is actually a larger planting at Dawes Arboretum south of Newark, OH that contains 300+ trees. It was planted ~1990, so they aren't all that big yet (~20' tall x ~8" dbh). The interpretive sign says it was an attempt to sample the full diversity of the species across its entire range. You can see the growth isn't all that uniform across the planting:
dr-daws.jpg
Still, mostly the ones I see are ornamental plantings in peoples' yards. The biggest I've noticed in columbus is maybe 2/3 the size of the Secrest trees.

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Mon May 20, 2013 8:01 am

Impressive quantity of metasequoias! There's a guy in North Carolina who's planting them in different habitats in the hopes of reintroducing them to the wild in the US. He's also planting other exotics but the plantation won't be open to the public until 2030.

Return to “Ohio”