Seiberling Nature Realm, Summit County Ohio

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Steve Galehouse

Seiberling Nature Realm, Summit County Ohio

Post by Steve Galehouse » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:54 pm

ENTS-

Today I quickly and briefly visited this park, which was once part of the F. A. Seiberling (Goodyear Tire and Rubber founder) Estate. The park has a very nice interpretive nature center as well as some cultivated grounds, but most of the park is natural forest. The park is contiguous and continuous with Sand Run Metropark, about which Randy Brown and I reported last Fall. The weather was exceptional--in the low 80's and sunny.

As usual in my area, topography determines tree height. I found a nice tulip-tree on top of a ridge at 136.5' x 11' 8''----this is about the best any species in the area will do on high or level ground. A short distance away, starting at the bottom of a deep ravine, another tulip reached 153.7', at what appeared to be a smaller cbh. Farther on down the ravine, a hemlock measured to 140.4'---this is the tallest hemlock in the the northern part of Ohio to my knowledge.

Later when I returned home I examined maps and aerial photos, and I think the 140.4' hemlock is actually on Sand Run Park land, which would push the R.I. for that park to 134'+.
136,5' tulip
Tulip 136.jpg
136.5 tulip top
Tulip 136 top.jpg
153.7 tulip(center in distance)
Tulip 153.jpg
140.4 hemlock
Hemlock 140.jpg
Steve
every plant is native somewhere

edfrank

Re: Seiberling Nature Realm, Summit County Ohio

Post by edfrank » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:12 pm

Steve,

Very nice report. Even if it kept changing every time I viewed it. Nice photos.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:25 pm

Ed-
The shape-shifters have settled for the evening.
Steve

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:01 pm

Steve, Man those Tulips sure do out height most other trees in the same age class. I wonder how tall they were before Europeans? Niiiice Hemlock to. Larry

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:07 pm

Steve,

It is so nice to see GREEN hemlocks!

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:47 pm

James Parton wrote:Steve,

It is so nice to see GREEN hemlocks!

James
James-

So far no HWA in my area. I'm hoping that, since hemlock are found in small discontinuous populations of several to several hundred acres, we might escape the problem for some time. Most pockets of hemlock are isolated from others by miles of exclusively deciduous forest. Unfortunately, at Seiberling, I did see some beech with beech bark disease.

Steve

Return to “Ohio”