Richfield, Ohio location

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

davidnrobyn

Richfield, Ohio location

Post by davidnrobyn » Tue May 29, 2012 1:09 am

Hi, I'm new here, and I'm fascinated by the study and research you guys are doing. I'm originally from NE Ohio and I find the discussions of large tree/old growth discoveries there incredibly interesting. I thought I'd pass along a site that I ran across many years ago while I was working on I-271 in Richfield. I was working as an intern engineer and during some slack time I wandered off the site and into a small patch of what looked to my inexperienced eyes as old growth. There were several species of trees there, all of which were the largest examples I had ever seen of each species. Also, the woods were notable for the lack of dense growth at ground level--it was very easy to walk through without a lot of underbrush and I could definitely use the term "forest cathedral" to characterize the experience. Anyway, here's where it is (I think, after 44 years!): Just about a half mile west of the intersection of I-271 and Brecksville Rd, on the north side of I-271 in a rough triangle bounded by I-271, Hawkins Rd., and Roberts Dr. I checked it out on Google Maps and it looks like it's still there. It's a very small patch, maybe 10-15 acres. Maybe you're already aware of it, or maybe I remembered wrong, but it might be worth a look with your LiDAR. Hope this is helpful!

bbeduhn

Re: Richfield, Ohio location

Post by bbeduhn » Tue May 29, 2012 8:59 am

Davidnrobyn,
Welcome to the board!

I'm also originally from Northeast Ohio. I've run the Buckeye Trail which passes near the area of 271 and Brecksville road. There are several outstanding tree spots. I can't answer if it's definitely old growth but there are some very small patches in NE Ohio. Steve Galehouse has done extensive measuring in Ohio and has posted numerous times. Look through the postings in Eastern United States/Ohio and see if he has covered the area. Sand Run, a bit south of your area, is a wonderful site, but I believe it is very mauture second growth. Your site may well be unknown to NTS.
Brian

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Wed May 30, 2012 9:01 am

Davidrobyn, Brian-

I reviewed the location using LiDAR data, which came up with a maximum height of 117'---perhaps it's been selectively logged sometime in the past 40 years(it appears to be on private property). About two or three miles east of this site, along Everett Road, is a woods that holds several Ohio height records: Black walnut-133', Sycamore-154.5', Black cherry-135', and Black oak-129'. Northern Summit County seems to have the greatest concentration of tall trees in the state.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

davidnrobyn

Post by davidnrobyn » Wed May 30, 2012 3:29 pm

Steve,
Thanks for getting on this so quickly! I thought maybe the place would be the same after all these years. Oh, well. There's been a tremendous amount of development since the highway construction--in 1968 it was all quite rural. And wow--those are really tall trees in that Everett Road site. Thanks! And thanks, Brian, for the feedback!
David

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Thu May 31, 2012 9:41 pm

David, Brian-

Here is a short list of tall trees from northern Summit County-all except the hemlock and beech are state height records for the species to my knowledge.
Summut north.JPG
Summut north.JPG (12.34 KiB) Viewed 1322 times
Steve
every plant is native somewhere

Return to “Ohio”