Lake View Cemetery, Cleveland

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Steve Galehouse

Lake View Cemetery, Cleveland

Post by Steve Galehouse » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:07 pm

ENTS-

Today My wife Diane, son Mitch, and I took a walk around Lake View Cemetery on Cleveland's East Side. This is the largest cemetery in the city but not the oldest, dating from 1869. It has a number of notable interments, including John D. Rockefeller, 20th President James A. Garfield, and Eliot Ness. There are many architecturally significant monuments in the park, with Wade Chapel(with a large Tiffany stained glass window) and the 180' Garfield Memorial being the most recognized. There are also a lot of big, old trees and extensive landscape plantings. We had not been there before, so we were mainly getting our bearings and sight-seeing, so I didn't measure many trees, but there are many old oaks and tuliptrees in the cemetery. Below are some photos of trees and monuments.

Tuliptree, 109.1' x 15' 8'':
Tuliptree 109' x 15' 8''.jpg
Tuliptree 109' x 15' 8'' trunk.jpg
The biggest grey birch I've ever seen, at 6' 11'' in girth and 36' tall:
Grey birch 36' x 6' 11''.jpg
A gnarly old white oak:
White oak.jpg
The Wade Chapel:
Wade Chapel.jpg
The Rockefeller Obelisk:
Rockefeller obelisk.jpg
The Garfield Memorial:
Garfield Memorial.jpg
Steve
every plant is native somewhere

edfrank

Re: Lake View Cemetery, Cleveland

Post by edfrank » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:29 pm

Steve,

There are often really nice trees in old cemeteries. They have the fat, open grown form that is impressive to look at. The same can be said of some trees on old estates. The wealthy people preserved trees on their grounds to enjoy and some of these have survived. I follow Rob McBride, a big tree hunter in Great Britain, on Facebook. There are some giganti-normous trees found on some of these old estates that are hundreds of years old. Some of the yews in old cemeteries may be pushing a thousand years. (He has an account here on the BBS but has not participated much.) There are some respectable sized trees in cemeteries around here, but I have yet to find anything spectacular.

Ed Frank

Shropshire's Ancient Trees (SATS) http://www.facebook.com/groups/362470993779326/
Oak at the Gate of the Dead http://www.facebook.com/groups/112373675444220/
The Pontfatag Oak http://www.facebook.com/groups/141024142642382/

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

bbeduhn

Re: Lake View Cemetery, Cleveland

Post by bbeduhn » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:38 am

I used to live a half mile from the cemetery. There used to be a large beech with cracked bark just north of the Garfield Monument. I assume it's still there but that was before my measuring days. There's a large dam in the cemetery, constructed to prevent flood damage near University Circle. I used to walk through Lakeview frequently in the mid 1990s.

Return to “Ohio”