List of 130' tree sites in Ohio

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Re: List of 130' tree sites in Ohio

Post by dbhguru » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:00 pm

Beautiful tree. I love sycamores that have large, straight trunks, i.e. the ones that soar.

Arguable, American sycamore is our largest eastern species, and I expect that Ohio has always been in the middle of big sycamore territory. Does any one have a list of legitimate sycamores in the Buckeye State?

Elsewhere, the largest single-trunk sycamore that I am aware of in New England is the Gifford Pinchot sycamore at Simsbury, CT. It has a CBH of 28 feet. It got hit by an ice storm last winter and lost a lot. Today its maximum height is about 96 feet and average crown spread of about 140 feet. Leaving New England, the Pennsylvania champ has a larger girth, but has almost no trunk. Not sure what I think about that tree.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:28 pm

Yea, I like individual trees that rise above the surrounding forest canopy. White Pines do that exceptionally well. Sycamores are quite unusual and exotic looking, in addition to their size and height. It comes in so many different shapes and sizes. Gotta love the bark. It's the closest thing we have to a eucalyptus tree. Here's another large syc just a stones throw from the previous tall tree. It has a large side branch that is as straight as the main stem of the tree - as if a separate tree was pasted on to the main trunk.
Attachments
DSCN2526.JPG

Rand

Post by Rand » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:22 pm

sradivoy wrote:
The tree I measured was nearby but outside your red demarcation as well. Here's a photo of the upper half of the tree that I just realized I had from a previous visit. From near the base I measured a false top of 141' thinking that's how tall it actually was. It wasn't until I got to a nearby ridge that I was able to see the actual top from nearly eye level (only 2 degrees above me from 100 yrds away). I first got a false reading of 178' because one of the function keys was accidently on. I said no way, and then re-measured it again and got a tentative, preliminary reading of 152'. More measurements need to be taken for me to get a better grasp of its actual height. Five feet seems a bit high since you last measured it, but I do think there's a good chance that it made the elite 150 class.
DSCN2524.JPG
Looks like you measured the same two big sycamores I did. I didn't circle the area of those trees were in because they were the only two trees I measured down in the valley bottom, and it was also on a different trip. When I measured the sycamores the leaves were on, so I wasn't able to get up on the slope to measure the heights because of the ground clutter. I actually measured them from the valley bottom, which makes it harder to find the highest top. It's more likely your number is the most accurate one, because you used a better vantage point.

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:52 am

There's a nice sycamore grove with two large trees due west on the north side of the creek that's worth checking out. I measured one with a 14'cbh, the thickest one I measured in the park. There is also an nice multi-stem with a main leaning trunk that you can almost walk up. I would say there are at least a half dozen notable sycamores that I've seen thus far.

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:45 am

Rand wrote:
sradivoy wrote:
The tree I measured was nearby but outside your red demarcation as well. Here's a photo of the upper half of the tree that I just realized I had from a previous visit. From near the base I measured a false top of 141' thinking that's how tall it actually was. It wasn't until I got to a nearby ridge that I was able to see the actual top from nearly eye level (only 2 degrees above me from 100 yrds away). I first got a false reading of 178' because one of the function keys was accidently on. I said no way, and then re-measured it again and got a tentative, preliminary reading of 152'. More measurements need to be taken for me to get a better grasp of its actual height. Five feet seems a bit high since you last measured it, but I do think there's a good chance that it made the elite 150 class.
DSCN2524.JPG
Looks like you measured the same two big sycamores I did. I didn't circle the area of those trees were in because they were the only two trees I measured down in the valley bottom, and it was also on a different trip. When I measured the sycamores the leaves were on, so I wasn't able to get up on the slope to measure the heights because of the ground clutter. I actually measured them from the valley bottom, which makes it harder to find the highest top. It's more likely your number is the most accurate one, because you used a better vantage point.
It should be mentioned that LiDar only indicates a height of 136' for the same tree located on a flat floodplain. Is there anyway to find out how old that particular LiDar tile is? My first measurement of 141' just may not be that far off after all.

Rand

Post by Rand » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:24 pm

Looks like 2006 or 2007:
Standard OSIP imagery and elevation products were collected from 2006 - 2008. The state took delivery of 51 northern tier counties in June 2007. The remaining counties were delivered in 2008 & 2009.
http://ogrip.oit.ohio.gov/ProjectsIniti ... agery.aspx

I guess I should also mention I live in Columbus, so I haven't had chance to explore the northern bank of the creek.

Return to “Ohio”