Rocky River floodplain forest

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Steve Galehouse

Rocky River floodplain forest

Post by Steve Galehouse » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:38 pm

ENTS-

I stopped today to explore a floodplain forest along Rocky River, in Cuyahoga County. I wasn't sure what to expect--I was hoping for some big old sycamores or cottonwoods with large diameters, but none were to be found in the limited area I hiked, although there were plenty of tall trees of both those species and others. The most common tree species was sycamore, followed by eastern cottonwood, black walnut, white ash, and sugar maple. Tulip-tree, red maple, red oak, basswood, green ash, bur oak, white elm, slippery elm, bitternut, black maple, and white oak were also present at canopy height. Pin oak was surprisingly absent. Ohio buckeye was the common understory, getting about 50' in height, and was starting to break bud---it's always the earliest native tree to leaf out around here. Ramps were pushing through the leaf litter, giving the forest floor a tinge of green. It started raining pretty hard(now it's snowing), so I left the site, to return again soon. Some measurements and photos attached.
Rocky River flood plain.jpg
Rocky River flood plain.jpg (40.57 KiB) Viewed 6638 times
Bur oak
Bur oak 113.jpg
Bur oak top
Bur oak top.jpg
White ash
White ash 119.jpg
Sycamore
Sycamore 131.jpg
Buckeye bud
Ohio buckeye bud.jpg
Ramps
Ramps.jpg
Steve
Last edited by Steve Galehouse on Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
every plant is native somewhere

James Parton

Re: Rocky River floodplain forest

Post by James Parton » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:56 pm

Steve,

How did you do the chart and post it to the website? It looks like an Excel spreadsheet but is a jpg image. Did you photograph the spreadsheet and then upload the image onto the post? It looks very professional.

JP
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:06 pm

James,

There is a tool in Windows Vista and some other versions called a "Snipping Tool." It is located in the Accesories folder on the menu. I copied it to my task bar. With it, you can select an area of teh screen and the program wil save it as a jpg file (maybe some other formats too). You can snip an area of a spreadsheet with the tool. Then the tables will not be mutilated by the posting process.

Alternatively the program irFanview I have posted about before will capture the entire screen area and then you can crop it with a photo editing program to the area you want.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:22 pm

Ed,

I have a simple program called " Captura " which is a screen capture program. It can capture the entire screen or just a portion of it that you select. That is how I capture images off Google Earth to post to the website. It should work well with capturing Excel spreadsheets and converting them into jpg images just as it does with Google Earth.

I have never noticed a snipping tool with WinXP. I'll have to look.

JP
James E Parton
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:39 pm

Ed, James-
I just used the "Print Screen" function, imported it to XnView, then cropped it.
Steve

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:51 am

Steve,

It worked and looks good.

James Parton
James E Parton
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:55 am

Steve, Good report. Quite a diverse Forest. My favorite type of setting is floodplain, we have lost so much of this type of Forest in the US. Good to know there are still places like this that are regenerating. Would you say those trees are second growth about 70-80 years old? Larry

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:23 pm

Larry-

I would think 70-80 years would be about right fore the cottonwoods and sycamores, but the larger sugar maples(below) looked much older--they have a significant gnarl factor that didn't come through in the photo. I hope to get back to the same area this weekend to explore further and measure other species and take more pics.
Sugar maple.jpg
Sugar maple top.jpg
Steve

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:18 am

Steve,

Good report. Good site. A Rucker of 118 is nothing to sneeze at. Ohio rocks.

Maybe we can hook up when Monic and I head west around June 15th. We'll pass through Ohio and would love to see you all.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:13 pm

Bob-

I hope we can hook up in June--there are several sites within 30 minutes of the Ohio Turnpike that are worth visiting.

I returned to the Rocky River floodplain today, with oldest son Mitch; found some more species at good size and larger individuals of species previously reported, which brings the R.I. to 120' plus---not bad for a level site in northern Ohio. The tallest/largest tree measured today was a tulip at 136' by 14' 2''. It's a very rich woods with a lot of understory, especially spicebush, which get up to 20' , and Ohio buckeye, to about 65'. There are still more areas to explore and it's close-by, so Ill add to the site report as I can.
list.jpg
list.jpg (64.04 KiB) Viewed 6593 times
Tulip-tree 136'
Tulip-tree 136 x 14- 2.jpg
Tulip-tree top
Tulip-tree 136 x 14- 2 top.jpg
Mitch by 119.5' bur oak
Mitch by bur oak.jpg
Steve

Return to “Ohio”