Ohio Rucker Indices

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Steve Galehouse

Ohio Rucker Indices

Post by Steve Galehouse » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:13 pm

NTS-

Here is a summary of Ohio sites showing the Rucker Index 5 species and the Rucker Index 10 species. Most of the sites are in the NE quarter of the state, with one in the NW, Goll Woods, and two in the SE, Hocking Hills and Davey Woods. Rand Brown and I have measured many of the sites in the NE part of the state within the past two years, while Rand, Will, Bob and other NTS have measured the other sites over the past several years. Sites from the SW quarter of the state are sadly lacking---Heuston Woods near Oxford would be a good site to measure, one of Lucy Braun's old stomping grounds, but I've not been in that part of the state in many years. Maybe this upcoming Summer.
Ohio Rucker.JPG
Ohio Rucker indices.doc
(24.5 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
Steve
every plant is native somewhere

dbhguru

Re: Ohio Rucker Indices

Post by dbhguru » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:35 pm

Steve,

Splendid report. You all have been extremely productive in Ohio. As a consequence, our view of what is left in the agricultural heartland in the way of significant trees has done a 180. Keep up the great work. I'm really curious as to what is in the southeastern region of Ohio.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Chris

Post by Chris » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:18 pm

Dysart Woods and Johnson Woods would two more great sites to measure.

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:25 pm

Chris wrote:Dysart Woods and Johnson Woods would two more great sites to measure.
I've been to Johnson's Woods, and although there are some nice trees there, none are of exceptional height---I got a Rucker Index 5 species of only 116.1'. Below is a link to photos of the woods.

https://picasaweb.google.com/srgalehous ... directlink

I've not been to Dysart, but would certainly like to get there some day.

Steve

Rand

Post by Rand » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:01 pm

Chris wrote:Dysart Woods and Johnson Woods would two more great sites to measure.
Here's Tom Diggins report of Dysart Woods from 2006.

http://www.nativetreesociety.org/fieldt ... _woods.htm

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:48 pm

Rand-

Tom Diggins' report would give a Rucker 5 of 129+ for Dysart Woods, not enough species mentioned for a RI 10. The shagbark hickory at Johnson's Woods turned put to be the previously recorded state record for the species at 123.2' x 8' 11''---I didn't know it at the time, but see it's on the Ohio Big Trees list.

Steve

Rand

Post by Rand » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:46 am

Steve Galehouse wrote:Rand-

Tom Diggins' report would give a Rucker 5 of 129+ for Dysart Woods, not enough species mentioned for a RI 10.
Yeah, I figured you'd seen the old report. I was just pointing the old report out for chris. I've walked through dysart a couple of times. Just from casual inspections it looks like Tom focused on the standout trees. The site is fairly small and isn't terribly diverse, so I have a feeling that going for the full ten would bring the height down a lot. As in the remainder trees would be 100'-110' at best.
The shagbark hickory at Johnson's Woods turned put to be the previously recorded state record for the species at 123.2' x 8' 11''---I didn't know it at the time, but see it's on the Ohio Big Trees list.

Steve
Is that the big one right off the boardwalk, not far from the parking lot?

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:36 pm

Rand wrote:

Yes, most likely. I recall it to be only 20' or so off the boardwalk.The Ohio Big Trees site lists it as 125' x 103'' and a crown spread of 74' for a total of 247 points. A couple of pics:
Shagbark 123,2' x 8' 11''.jpg
Shagbark 123,2' x 8' 11'' crown.jpg
Steve

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:57 pm

Steve,

Great compilation! Maybe you guys could do some mopping up at these two sites to solidify a good RI.

Pearson Metropark (Toledo)
http://www.nativetreesociety.org/fieldt ... ropark.htm

Swan Creek Metropark (Toledo)
http://www.nativetreesociety.org/fieldt ... eserve.htm

Will

Rand

Post by Rand » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:09 pm

Steve Galehouse wrote:
Rand wrote:
Yes, most likely. I recall it to be only 20' or so off the boardwalk.The Ohio Big Trees site lists it as 125' x 103'' and a crown spread of 74' for a total of 247 points. A couple of pics:
Shagbark 123,2' x 8' 11''.jpg
Shagbark 123,2' x 8' 11'' crown.jpg
Steve
That tree was always striking that it got so old the bark wasn't shaggy any more (a the bottom anyway). Looks more like pignut or something.

Return to “Ohio”