East Branch stroll...

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Steve Galehouse

East Branch stroll...

Post by Steve Galehouse » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:22 pm

NTS-

Oldest son Mitch and I took advantage of the mild weather, and had a nice two hour stroll along the East Branch of the Rocky River---I can't say it was even a hike, since it was all level ground and either paved or on a bridle trail. No height records found or expected, but some interesting trees encountered non-the-less. The most interesting was a sycamore with a significant burl. I usually see burls on oaks, maples, and black cherries, but this was one of the largest I've seen(the chestnut oak burl at Stebbins Gulch was the largest). Here are a couple of pics:

Sycamore with burl, Mitch for scale:
sycamore burl2.jpg
Look at the knobs on that burl! ;)
sycamore burl.jpg
Also visited an "old friend", a swamp white oak measured at 103' x 15' 10'' girth in 2010. These pics give a better impression of the size of the tree.
swamp white oak trunk.jpg
swamp white oak.jpg
I hope to get out a few more times before winter sets in. There are a couple of sites I recently learned of that should hold some nice trees.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

edfrank

Re: East Branch stroll...

Post by edfrank » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:12 pm

Steve and Mitch,

Nice Burl

Ed Frank
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “Ohio”