O'Neill Woods revisit

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Steve Galehouse

O'Neill Woods revisit

Post by Steve Galehouse » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:26 pm

NTS-

Today I met Rob Curtis, a biologist with the Summit County Metroparks, at O'Neill woods near Bath, Ohio. I had been in contact with Rob and Mike Greene, a naturalist for the parks, regarding the NTS method of measuring trees. Rob expressed interest, feeling that canopy height has a direct correlation with the health of the of the site, which I agree with entirely. Rob knew of a very nice white ash at this park, and it turned out I had already visited it last March. The ash is healthy, and an impressive 12' 3'' girth with a height of 135.65'. I got a much shorter height last fall March, 123', probably due to the cold weather and hurrying through. Rob had to go on to another commitment, but I think he saw the utility and accuracy of the laser/clinometer method. He had a TruePulse with him, supplied by the Metroparks, so I think some more good measurements for NE Ohio will be coming along(and it's encouraging the park system sees the value in the hardware). I'm hoping to familiarize him with Fusion/LiDAR this Fall.

I stayed at the site for a while, and found some other nice trees---a tuliptree at 158.3', a pignut at 128.8', a slippery elm at 116.7', and a red oak at 126.9'. A summary of what was found here: http://alpha.treesdb.org/Browse/Sites/913/Details

135' x 12' 3'' white ash:
135,65' x 9' 3'' white ash O'Neill.jpg
15' x 115' red oak:
115' H x 15' girth red oak O'Neill.jpg
158.3' tuliptree:
158,3' tuliptree O'Neill.jpg

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

dbhguru

Re: O'Neill Woods revisit

Post by dbhguru » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:53 am

Steve,

Congratulations on two counts: winning a convert and finding a heck of an impressive tuliptree. I continue to be impressed by Ohio's tuliptrees.

On the other count, we are making progress. I expect that a lot of people are discovering the NTS on their own and absorbing the measuring lessons. Time is the answer.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:04 am

Steve,

Again neat stuff. I really don't have anything to add to your post, but want to encourage you to keep posting these trip reports.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:34 pm

Nice Tuliptree!

Winter approaches and I an fixing to get into tree measuring mode again. Do I hear a " hooray " from Mr. Leverett?

JP
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Return to “Ohio”