Augusta-Anne Olsen State Nature Preserve

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Steve Galehouse

Augusta-Anne Olsen State Nature Preserve

Post by Steve Galehouse » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:10 pm

NTS-

Today I visited the Augusta-Anne Olsen State Nature Preserve in Huron County, Ohio. The preserve is situated along the Vermilion River and consists of a floodplain forest with somewhat elevated terraces and steep slopes leading to the river. The area is second growth, with a few older trees, with the lower terrace composed mainly of tuliptree and sycamore. The most interesting find was an American chestnut at 69.5' in height and 2' 11'' in girth. The tree is affected by blight, but is still hanging on---the height measurement was to the tallest leaf; the defoliated top of the tree(probably dead) was an additional 10'-15' above the foliage. An old sugar maple, 101' in height and 12' 1'' in girth, was also found, as well as a sassafras 10'6'' in girth and 90.48' in height. The RH5 for the site is 117.44', the RH10 is 109.96'.

American chestnut 69.5':
chestnut trunk.jpg
chestnut top.jpg
Sassafras 10' 6'' girth x 90.48':
sassafras 10'6''x90,48'.jpg
sassafras 10'6''x90,48' top.jpg
A detailed report with more photos here: http://alpha.treesdb.org/Browse/Sites/897/Details

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

Will Blozan

Re: Augusta-Anne Olsen State Nature Preserve

Post by Will Blozan » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:19 pm

Rand

Post by Rand » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:40 pm

Nice to see the chestnut is still alive. Gives some hope that the one in cook forest might hang on and recover.

Running around the Allegheny national forest I saw lots of young trees being killed by the blight. It seems like once the blight gets a local foothold on a given tree, the local canker can spawn enough other cankers to rapidly overwhelm the entire tree.

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:32 pm

Will-

I remember this post from several years ago, but I forgot the reference to Augusta-Anne Olsen Preserve---I'm sure several of the trees you measured then are the same as I measured earlier this week, certainly the white oak, sassafras, and chestnut are the same individuals, and likely the red oak and buckeye. In that you noticed three years ago the chestnut had a dead top, and it still does but is alive, is encouraging. The preserve is a nice area, but it is always surprising to me that areas like this are so under-utilized by the public. I was the only person present on the trails on a warm, glorious Fall day, and there was no-one in attendance at the preserve facility. Attached are measurements from 10/25/11(the white oak girth was estimated due to the slope, and flying solo).
AAO.JPG
AAO.JPG (38.58 KiB) Viewed 2800 times
Rand, let me know when you might be you for another foray. I'm planning to remeasure the tall tuliptree sometime in November---with the 50'' of rain we've had this season, I think it might break 165' now.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

Return to “Ohio”