Bedford Reservation, Cuyahoga County

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Steve Galehouse

Bedford Reservation, Cuyahoga County

Post by Steve Galehouse » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:06 pm

NTS-

Today son Mitch and I visited Bedford Reservation. Bedford Reservation is part of the Cleveland MetroParks, with Tinker's Creek Gorge, a National Natural Landmark, its main attraction. Tinker's Creek is the largest tributary of the Cuyahoga River. It's a very scenic area with nice woods in addition to the picturesque creek. The canopy is still quite dense, so measuring was difficult, but we did find some nice if not exceptionally tall trees. The area was somewhat different from others in the Cuyahoga Valley in that tuliptree was not as dominant as I would have expected; oaks, especially red and black, were the most frequent trees of with a large girth. A summary of what we found today is here: http://alpha.treesdb.org/Browse/Sites/863/Details

And attached are some photos:
Bitternut 105,9' x 10' 6''.jpg
Hemlock 115'.jpg
Red oak 112,9' x 10' 8''.jpg
Sugar maple 107' x 9' 8''.jpg
Steve
every plant is native somewhere

edfrank

Re: Bedford Reservation, Cuyahoga County

Post by edfrank » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:53 pm

Steve,

A very nice report. You and the others are compiling a pretty large number of sites in northeastern Ohio.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:10 pm

Ed, NTS-

I wish I could say otherwise, but we're running out of new prime sites for NE Ohio. LiDAR has made it apparent that the sites we have already visited are the ones that are the "best". A lot of fine tuning in those sites is needed, but another site like North Chagrin or Sand Run is unlikely. Returning to Sand Run and Everett Woods this Sunday, with someone interested in writing about trees--will keep you posted.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:18 pm

Here's a nice Nyssa and a delicious cucumber I came across today. The blackgum measures 85'ht x 11' 0.5''cbh while the cuke measures 129' x 12'6". The blackgum would be taller if it didn't lean. Perhaps the oldest looking tree in the park.
Attachments
leaning blackgum
leaning blackgum
DSCN0388.JPG
DSCN0387.JPG
DSCN0391.JPG
fat cucumber
fat cucumber
DSCN0395.JPG
nice crown with many leaders
nice crown with many leaders
DSCN0406.JPG