Ohio and the ENTS Big Tree Database

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dantheman9758

Ohio and the ENTS Big Tree Database

Post by dantheman9758 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:00 am

ENTS,

While adding my own sites to the BTD I noticed that I don't need to list myself as one of the visitors from a particular trip. The information reflecting Ohio seems to be concentrated in the northeast of the state. When I read reports like these: http://www.nativetreesociety.org/fieldt ... ren_oh.htm and many others I would love to see this data incorporated in the Database to add accuracy to all of the indexes.

There is a lot of information in the Ohio ENTS website that I would not mind adding to the BTD if it was allowed. Does anyone think the reports from past trips should be restricted to the ENTS members who obtained the information?, or could any ENTS willing and able add information gathered from them?

Dan

edfrank

Re: Ohio and the ENTS Big Tree Database

Post by edfrank » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:09 am

Dan,

My opinion would be for anyone interested to enter away at the data

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:36 am

Dan and Ed,

If data collected by an Ent in the past exists for a region that could be entered into the database by another Ent (say Dan entering Tom's data), I say more power to whomever enters the data. It is probably the only way past data are going to get entered. Dan, your fellow and lady Ents will owe you big time.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

dantheman9758

Post by dantheman9758 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:19 pm

Ed and Bob,

I'll take that as a green light. The idea behind this collective U.S. database is an excellent one, and I can advance the data pool without much effort. Depending on how fast I get through Ohio I may offer further assistance with other localities.

Dan

tsharp

Post by tsharp » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:27 pm

Dan: I combed through the WV trip reports and entered the appropriate data. So go to it! If I ever finish WV I may do Maryland this winter if no one else tackles it. I was also perplexed on how to handle stand alone trees and finally decided to lump them altogether and indicate their location in the comment section. I asked Mitch Galehouse about this and he reminded me that the database program is a work in progress and he will try to address single trees differently. I do have one Ohio site and one stand alone tree but have not got around to posting it to the database. I intend to do it unless you beat me to it. Let me know.
Turner Sharp
Last edited by tsharp on Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:45 pm

Turner,

another option would be to treat each tree as its own site.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:48 pm

Pennsylvania (and some sites elsewhere)

There are likely thousands of trees in PA is Dale Luthringer's spreadsheet. For this data it likely is best to standardize the format to something that will be compatible to the database and eventually have it imported as a big lump, along with Dale's data from other states. I will add my new data as I collect it.

Ed

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:31 pm

Dan-

All the Ohio data can be downloaded as an organized Excel using the "Export" function on the site. Mitch will eventually develop a way to import data via an Excel file, but that is not operational yet. The treesdb.org site is meant to facilitate and organize data recording and sharing, so any way it works for any member should be fine.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

dantheman9758

Post by dantheman9758 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:15 am

Steve, ENTS

I don't mind speeding up the databases effectiveness by entering manually (Just for Ohio right now). This is how I've handled it so far:
  • The URL from the original site description is linked

The individuals who took the measurements are listed along with the appropriate dates

Only concrete ENTS measurements are used. Speculative ones I place in the comments section so that they do not skew the indexes.

Multi-pith tree's are not included in the index and are being listed in the comments section.

Site coordinates are simply the "county" in which the forest/address is located. Some of these places I can go back and pinpoint but for now I'm keeping it simple just to get the measurement data into the system.
Anyone with a boatload of Ohio data that was never publicly posted is free to email me at dantheman9758@yahoo.com. I've added 25-50 percent of the public data already. From the additions I've done so far, the RHI20 index may have changed a little but I don't know if the 5 and 10 changed yet. All of the girth indexes are dramatically rising from the giant cottonwoods, sycamore, and old growth field trees that were previously not in the system. Once I get the height index and girth index to where it should be, Ohio and WV will be excellent benchmarks as the other States are built up into the database.

Steve, you and your son Mitch are the dudes for taking a widespread collective database from concept to creation!

Turner, these two extensively documented States are already looking great, and if you get to a 3rd than things will really be rolling! Nice job so far! If you get to another area after finishing WV, than maybe when I finish Ohio I'll look into another area. I'm really interested in PA but that sounds like a daunting task with how much data is suggested to exist haha. GSMNP data might also be daunting, but I'll talk to Will. Quite a few key trees from GSM would set the bar for the TDI. I'm curious to get benchmark trees into the system to ground a lot of the numbers.

Dan

Return to “Ohio”