Cuyahoga Valley composite

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Steve Galehouse

Cuyahoga Valley composite

Post by Steve Galehouse » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:30 pm

ENTS-

Rand Brown and I have measured several sites in the Cuyahoga Valley in the past couple of years, and I thought it would be interesting to combine the data in a separate post. Each of the four sites was once part of the Akron/Summit County Metropark system; now some of the sites are managed by the National Park system or jointly managed by NPS and Metroparks. All the sites are in northern Summit County and within a few miles of each other, and all share a common geography, with steep hills and ravines with small streams that lead into the Cuyahoga River. I look it as one continuous site that has been divided and disrupted by both urban and agricultural land use.

The composite data give a Rucker 5 index of 148.28, a Rucker 10 index 139.62, and a Rucker 20 index of 128.8---not too shabby!
Cuyahoga Valley composite.JPG
http://rev215.treesdb.org/Browse/Sites/627/Details

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

dantheman9758

Re: Cuyahoga Valley composite

Post by dantheman9758 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:36 pm

Steve,

It looks like the Valley has a chance to hit over 140, incredible!, are there any "forests" north of the Ohio River (from any of the states) that have ever reached at or above 140?

I like how you've consolidated those nearby parks. They are all part of just one forest. I would like to believe most of the stretches of forest throughout the Western Reserve span multiple parks and properties. Google earth satellite maps reinforce this continuity.

Dan

Return to “Ohio”