Chippewa Creek, Brecksville Reservation

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Steve Galehouse

Chippewa Creek, Brecksville Reservation

Post by Steve Galehouse » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:36 pm

ENTS-

Today I made a short trip to Chippewa Creek in Brecksville Reservation, which is part of the Cleveland Metroparks. Chippewa Creek is a very picturesque little stream, strewn with huge sandstone blocks that have been cleaved from the sides of the gorge. There was hardly any water in the creek today, but a lot of debris was perched about 15' above the stream-bed, so the water must really gush after a heavy rain. Here are a few photos of the creek; the first shows a roadway bridge in the distance for scale, in the third the sandstone block in the lower right is about the size of a small school bus:
Upstream towards bridge.jpg
Downstream.jpg
Upstream.jpg
The forest here is mature if not old growth, with hemlock, tulip, magnolia, several oaks, beech and sugar maple the most frequent. Canopy cover was too dense to get really good measurements, but I did come up with a Rucker 10 of 106+, with just a cursory search of the area, summary here: http://rev215.treesdb.org/Browse/Sites/605/Details

Here are a few photos of trees:
Tuliptree 130,37' x 10' 1''.jpg
Red oak 116,9' x 10' 9''.jpg
Sugar maple 9' 7'' x 99'.jpg
While I don't expect to find any really tall trees(the best LiDAR hit was in the 140's), the area certainly warrants a revisit after leaf-drop.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

bbeduhn

Re: Chippewa Creek, Brecksville Reservation

Post by bbeduhn » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:34 am

Steve,
There's a nice loop trail across Station Road Bridge that starts and ends on the towpath. It's just a bit south of the bridge. It was 95 degrees when I last ran there so I may have been hallucinating just a bit but the trees seemed to be of high quality. No guesses as to their heights, however. I also recall some fine trees along the roadway in Brecksville. The stream boulders are quite impressive.
Brian

James Parton

Re: Chippewa Creek, Brecksville Reservation

Post by James Parton » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:42 am

It reminds me of the Green River Gorge but quite a bit smaller.
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Return to “Ohio”