North Chagrin Reservation: Cumulative Forest Data

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Don

Re: North Chagrin Reservation: Cumulative Forest Data

Post by Don » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:39 pm

Rand-
Interesting! In your example, I have a really hard time picturing the tree as it was "whole". And being unfamiliar with the break pattern, I'm equally confused as to what was going on with the concentric annual ring set. If I'm on the right track, your tree started out as a single-boled trunk that forked at a point most of the way up its total height, and then began branching (somewhat chaotically from the images I am seeing)...?

Moving onto sradivoy's Reed Oak, take a look at his second image of the series, and tell me if you think you're seeing one tree with a long linear injury being healed, or two trees growing into each other, then finally splitting from 1)gravitational, solar, wind forces.
I'm unfamiliar with the "saddle" that shows up in the bottom of sradivoy's third, and the top of the fourth, but am willing to conjecture that it is a zone of inclusion, where there is an attempt to 'bind' the two trees together, as they split off into different zones of canopy light...

Like I say, I'm not there, I'm a hostage to the photos, and you guys are much more familiar with eastern species...

-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

Rand

Post by Rand » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:39 pm

Don wrote:Rand-
Interesting! In your example, I have a really hard time picturing the tree as it was "whole". And being unfamiliar with the break pattern, I'm equally confused as to what was going on with the concentric annual ring set. If I'm on the right track, your tree started out as a single-boled trunk that forked at a point most of the way up its total height, and then began branching (somewhat chaotically from the images I am seeing)...?
Yeah, thats whats going on. I cropped the photo pretty heavily so you could see the embedded bark. I guess I should have included the whole photos so you can see the overall picture more clearly.
break-3.png
break-4.png
Moving onto sradivoy's Reed Oak, take a look at his second image of the series, and tell me if you think you're seeing one tree with a long linear injury being healed, or two trees growing into each other, then finally splitting from 1)gravitational, solar, wind forces.
It looks like a split of an old fork to me. In severe cases of embedded bark you will get 'ears' of wood that will spread out perpendicular to the trunk, in the tree's attempt to grow more wood between the two forks:
break-5-ears.jpg
I'm unfamiliar with the "saddle" that shows up in the bottom of sradivoy's third, and the top of the fourth, but am willing to conjecture that it is a zone of inclusion, where there is an attempt to 'bind' the two trees together, as they split off into different zones of canopy light...
Usually a fork will be split to equal depths on both sides of the trunk. It looks like this tree split more deeply on one side than the other. The split looks pretty old and has almost healed on one side, but not the other.
Like I say, I'm not there, I'm a hostage to the photos, and you guys are much more familiar with eastern species...
If I remember correctly Dan took us to this tree when we were there, so I have seen it in person.

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:25 pm

A bumpy old blackgum along Buttermilk Creek.
Attachments
nchag 033.JPG
nchag 032.JPG
nchag 031.JPG
nchag 029.JPG
nchag 028.JPG
nchag 027.JPG
nchag 026.JPG

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:05 pm

I came across a nice forest grown Quercus bicolor early this morning before the sweltering heat chased me inside. I don't think this species has been documented at this site before. I got a height of at least 117' (one of many tops) with a girth of 13'2''. I also measured a tulip with a girth of 14'10'' (on a slope) that may be the thickest known in the park. I didn't get a height or photo of the tulip at this time.
Attachments
DSCN0236.JPG
DSCN0238.JPG
DSCN0255.JPG
DSCN0258.JPG
DSCN0262.JPG
DSCN0264.JPG

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:52 pm

Took advantage of the mild weather and visited this large pignut hickory the other day that I don't believe has been documented at this site before. It measured 121'ht x 11"2''cbh.
Attachments
DSCN0356.JPG
DSCN0355.JPG
DSCN0353.JPG
DSCN0349.JPG
DSCN0348.JPG

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:56 pm

The bark on your hickory looks more like red. The twigs appear to be finer than red. Reds generally have deeper furrows and are scaly, somewhat like shagbark. This one isn't scaly and appears to have fairly fine twigs so it's inconclusive. Northern latitude pignuts may have deeper furrows than southerly pignuts. If you revisit in late summer, check out the fruits to see if they dehisce halfway or all the way. The nuts for both hickories are very similar to each other. After they've been on the ground a while, it can be difficult to tell them apart.

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:28 am

Thanks for the feedback Brian. Hope this helps. Sorry about the blurry images.
Attachments
DSCN0354.JPG
DSCN2901.JPG
DSCN2900.JPG
DSCN2899.JPG

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:08 pm

Click on image to see its original size
sradivoy wrote:I came across a nice forest grown Quercus bicolor early this morning before the sweltering heat chased me inside. I don't think this species has been documented at this site before. I got a height of at least 117' (one of many tops) with a girth of 13'2''. I also measured a tulip with a girth of 14'10'' (on a slope) that may be the thickest known in the park. I didn't get a height or photo of the tulip at this time.
I always like seeing big SWO like this. Needs a better pic, though. Good catch.
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:29 am

Stefan,
Your trunk photo of the hickory just adds to the confusion. It doesn't really look like either one. The fruits are inconclusive. The leaves look more red. I'd go red hickory but without certainty.
Brian

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:58 am

Lucas wrote:
Click on image to see its original size
sradivoy wrote:I came across a nice forest grown Quercus bicolor early this morning before the sweltering heat chased me inside. I don't think this species has been documented at this site before. I got a height of at least 117' (one of many tops) with a girth of 13'2''. I also measured a tulip with a girth of 14'10'' (on a slope) that may be the thickest known in the park. I didn't get a height or photo of the tulip at this time.
I always like seeing big SWO like this. Needs a better pic, though. Good catch.

That is a lousy picture Lucas! Don't know why I shared it when I have better ones available.
Attachments
Next to a swamp appropriately enough.
Next to a swamp appropriately enough.
DSCN0175.JPG
DSCN0174.JPG

Return to “Ohio”