Preliminary report re: North Chagrin visit

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Steve Galehouse

Preliminary report re: North Chagrin visit

Post by Steve Galehouse » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:06 pm

ENTS-

Yesterday, Aug. 2nd, Will Blozan, Rand Brown, Dan Reed, Seth Werronen and myself paid an all-day visit to North Chagrin Reservation. Dan Reed, a new ENTS member, recently described this area in detail in an earlier thread: http://www.ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=2756 . Dan and Seth served as the "tour guides", with an extremely well organized itinerary based on LiDAR data and Bing Birdseye maps.

I think it is safe to say that none were disappointed and all were impressed by the forest. It will take us a while to organize all the data, but it looks likely we found new state height records for six species:

Slippery elm- 128.6', American elm- 125.7', White ash- 139.3', Sugar maple- 122.7', Red maple- 120.3', Sassafras- 122.5'

The tallest tree recorded was a tuliptree at 153.5'. The Rucker 10 index for the site will likely be in the mid 130's once all the information is gathered and processed. Some of us will definitely return after leaf drop to get height for more trees and species.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

edfrank

Re: Preliminary report re: North Chagrin visit

Post by edfrank » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:30 pm

Steve, Will, Rand, and Dan,

I am looking forward to your full report!!

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

dantheman9758

Post by dantheman9758 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:34 pm

Just finished the stitch of the first out of the four Tulips we encountered that were over 150'. I must have been too busy hiking and searching because these are the only pictures I took.
Tulip Composite.jpg
Steve -

Do you know if the biggest blackgum height was recorded for this trip? Not sure if Will could get a good enough reading worth jotting down. I thought I heard 120ish numbers while we were near it but I could be mistaken on that. I'm really interested in that tree, it had a crown taller than it's neighbors, and its diameter is impressive. Unless you know of an exceptionally tall specimen in Ohio, this one tree might have the combined potential for height and girth records. - Also, if the site was ever to be cored for age, that tree (and the 2 other big blackgum) would be at the top of my priority list. This same site harbored a fallen 486 year old blackgum, and all this makes for a good chance that the 3 big ones alive right now might be among the oldest trees living in the Northeast United States, no?

Dan

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:47 pm

Guys,

You all are the dudes. You are just way cool. Ohio is turning out to be a gold mine of possibilities. The Tulips are outstanding, but so is everything else. I'm now psyched to get back to Mohawk Trail State Forest and update the Rucker.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:45 am

Steve,

Indeed, great trip!

BTW, I had 127.7' for the sugar maple, and my second shot on the sassafras was 122.7'; Rand may have 123'.

Will

dantheman9758

Post by dantheman9758 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:33 am

Steve and I are planning a return trip here this weekend to fill a few common species we are missing.

Once we have this summer height data, I'll start the topic on North Chagrin's data that I will just keep updating as more data arrives. I'll likely keep data updated by editing and adding future data only to my initial topic post rather than creating a bunch of posts so tht it can all be organized and found in one place.

In the meantime here's a few more images I've taken of the canopy columns, looking at other users photographs I realized taking vertical pictures from as far away as my lens and foliage allows gives the trees a better sense of scale no? I don't have a fish eye lens so I can't take those nice looking shots from below. I have to setup my tripod really far away, but the result can be useful for other things. The farther I get with these 45mm shots - 215mm shots the less distortion I'll get. I think after leaf-drop, I'll experiment with trying to get very low distortion stitches

18'3" Red Oak

Click on image to see its original size

17'11" Red Oak

10'+ Blackgum - (either 3", or 6"... will need remeasured)

10'11" Red Maple

12'2" White Oak

11' 10" American Beech

10' 7" White Ash

High-res 18' oak stitch
High-res 18' oak stitch

Return to “Ohio”